Last updated on March 18th, 2019
The thought of buying toys for kids can seem like a daunting task. Especially since many different kids like different products, and no two kids will like the same toys. When it comes to baby puzzles there are a number of different products on the market today. There are puzzle games for toddlers, jigsaw puzzles, wooden puzzles, floor puzzles, alphabet puzzles, learning puzzles and even shape and magnetic puzzles. With so many different options to choose from we realize that it can feel overwhelming to make an informed decision, which is why we’ve decided to compile a list of products that have been reviewed by others.
The toddler puzzles we’ve chosen to look at come from different companies (with an exception of two brands that are listed twice) and all have different features. Most of the puzzles are for children that are 3 and older, however there are some that are for kids as young as 12 months. They incorporate a variety of different features such as colours, shapes, and pictures. The puzzles listed here either come in a set of 4 or just one individual puzzle (such as a picture, for example).
Many of the puzzles on the list are also environmentally friendly and made from non-toxic paints, so that they are safe for young children. We’ve kept these things in mind and have included them in the full review at the bottom.
We also made sure that the products on this list are safe and are certified by the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission in order to make sure that these products are suitable for your child and have not been recalled, or have any known defects.
Best Toddler Puzzles At A Glance
Before we jump into the best toddler puzzles we’ve compiled a chart to help you glance at everything including the various cribs their ratings and the different features.
View on Amazon
For a three year old this is without any doubt an amazing puzzle. Such activities are great for young kids. I would highly recommend this.
The Melissa and Doug Vehicles Puzzle comes in a large storage box with four distinct puzzles that children can put together. It is detailed with different pictures and easy to differentiate as each puzzle comes with different markings so that the pieces are easy to find and put together. This puzzle promotes hand eye coordination as well as cognitive skills.
- This wooden puzzle for toddlers is great for travel, or on-the-go
- Has 4 different puzzles including a race car, steam engine, school bus, and fire engine
- Puzzle box is ideal for storage, which means no having to step on toy pieces
- Puzzles are intricate enough to be challenging, but not difficult
- Pictures are somewhat prone to peeling by hand, which may effect product longevity
- All 4 puzzles have the same piece shape
Simple yet rewarding puzzle toys for toddlers such as these particular toddler jigsaw puzzles are great way to introduce your little one to the value of patience.
This the first Melissa and Doug puzzle featured on our review list which means that this brand is well loved amongst parents. It comes with 4 individual puzzles that all target motor skills as well as critical thinking and hand eye coordination. We would recommend this for parents that are looking for a great first time puzzle for their kids.
View on Amazon
Kids who just started learning, this is a great thing to have. These are super cute and the size is perfect for little ones.
This fun, farm themed puzzle box comes with four different puzzles and progresses from 2 pieces all the way up to 8 pieces. It is a great puzzle to help toddlers build their tactile and problem solving skills. The pictures are engaging and will keep little kids entertained for hours while helping them learn the names of different farm animals.
- Chunky and durable pieces are perfect for small hands to pick up and play with
- With 4 progressive puzzles in one box, these animal puzzles for toddlers will keep your little one entertained for hours
- Animated scenes increase the fun factor, and will keep kids engaged in learning more about the animals that inhabit our planet
- The 4 different puzzles increase the piece count by 2 with each progression to help ease your toddler into the fun of puzzles, making these particular puzzles one of the best learning puzzles for toddlers
- For kids that are especially quick on the uptake, having only 4 puzzles may not engage them for a long period of time
- If your little tyke isn’t interested in animals, this particular floor puzzle for toddlers may not pique their curiosity
These toddler puzzles are also available in different themes such as counting, ocean life, and dinosaurs.
Like the previous puzzle we talked about this puzzle also comes with 4 different options and colourful pictures that will engage kids. Many parents like this puzzle since it allows kids to start off with only 2 pieces and move up to 8 when they are comfortable. We recommend checking it out for your child.
View on Amazon
I bought this for my daughter who is fifteen months old. It is very easy for her to put this together correctly. It keeps her engaged for some time.
This fun and colourful shape puzzle will allow kids to learn their shapes while playing with the 9 different pieces. It comes with a big puzzle board and is lightweight as well. This puzzle will allow children to learn shapes as well as colours while staying entertained at the same time.
- The wooden board is solid as well as lightweight for maximum safety and fun
- All the pieces are colored with a non-toxic, water based paint that has been rigorously tested and meets international safety standards
- With so much fun and simplicity, this is a wooden puzzle a baby could use
- Also a great puzzle for toddler development, as it promotes shape and color association
- Might be a little too simplified for toddlers above age 4
- This toddler puzzle is a wonderful educational tool, but the pieces are a fairly attractive chew-toy option for pets
Solvent-free, water based paint means it’s perfectly fine if the wooden blocks end up being slightly chewed by your little one.
This puzzle is incredibly simple and comes with only shapes so that your child can spend time learning each shape individually. It is lightweight as well as colourful. If you’re looking for something that will teach your child about shapes then this puzzle is the one for you.
View on Amazon
If you are looking for a great puzzle for then you should buy this. This keeps our sixteen months old occupied for a while. This is an amazing learning toy.
We have another fun shape puzzle on the list that doesn’t follow the traditional puzzle structure and is rather more of a hands-on, interactive activity for kids to work on their motor skills. This puzzle is ideal for developing early sorting skills in young children. It is Montessori approved which means that kids will be working on their sensorial skills while playing.
- The chunky pieces included with this toddler puzzle are perfect for children’s hands and gripping capabilities
- Combining shapes, colors, and corresponding pegs makes this one of the best puzzles for toddlers
- Counting, naming, shapes, and colors are all included as an educational benefit to your toddler
- Non-toxic and completely child safe, this is a toddler puzzle every parent can feel good about
- High quality materials and construction means it will last a long time, and be a family favorite for all of your kids’ formative years
- If some pieces are misplaced or lost you may have to reorder the product again, since replacement pieces are not available
- Pegs may present a tripping hazard for parents if left out on the floor
Getting together as a family to help your child name all the shapes as he or she places them on the pegs is a great family activity that’s sure to bring everyone together.
This puzzle comes with many different pieces that can be used to teach colour, shapes, as well as size. It will keep kids engaged for hours. If you’re looking for something simple, lightweight, and fun then this is the puzzle for your child.
View on Amazon
This one is a little bit difficult to put together, good for older toddlers as all pieces break into additional 3-4 pieces. A must have.
This fun and interactive toddler puzzle comes with 2 individual puzzles and 60 pieces in total. It is big enough for young kids and will allow them to learn ABC’s as well as numbers. Bright and colourful, it will entice kids and keep them engaged. The two main puzzles work together to create a train and are big enough to lay flat on the floor.
- Each toddler jigsaw puzzle is about 5 feet long to help your little one feel like a big kid
- Develops letter and number recognition in a fun way that keeps your toddler engaged and entertained
- Enhances colour recognition skills as well, to further increase cognitive development
- This floor puzzle for toddlers helps to build tactile skills, as well as fine motor skills and problem solving
- While these are great puzzles for toddler development, a 60-piece set might be a little overwhelming for younger kids
- Contains small parts, therefore not safe for children under 3 years of age
The Learning Journey has been a top name in educational children’s toys for over 30 years, so your child will be too busy having fun to realize they’re learning a lot too.
This puzzle is not only big but comes with ABCs as well as 123s so that kids get the chance to learn both while engaging with the puzzle pieces. It is interactive as well as colourful. A perfect first puzzle for young toddlers.
View on Amazon
The best thing about this puzzle is that it comes with a container to keep everything inside. It is perfect for my two year old and four year old.
This is the second Melissa and Doug toddler puzzle we have on the list which means that it is an incredibly popular brand amongst parents when buying puzzles. This puzzle is focused on finding the correct shape and comes with 120 solid wooden pieces. It will teach kids about colours as well as various shapes.
- This puzzle toy for toddlers has 5 double sided panels with 120 large pieces
- Colourful patterns and wooden shape blocks make this shape puzzle for toddlers a clear family favorite
- Comes with a super convenient storage box for easy clean-ups
- Ideal for spatial awareness, colour recognition, and hand-eye coordination
- Young toddlers may have difficulty with the relatively complex shapes at first
- Difficult to take out of box without pieces all flying out
For only a few dollars more, this great learning puzzle for toddlers is also available with your child’s name personalized on the box.
This puzzle is ideal for toddlers who are familiar and comfortable with certain shapes and will enjoy putting this puzzle together. It is colourful and will keep your child engaged while he/she is busy learning.
View on Amazon
Quality wise, this is a great puzzle to have. The design is really nice and the pieces fit together perfectly. It is very engaging and cute.
This 24 piece dinosaur puzzle set is perfect for older kids (aged 3+) who enjoy putting together picture puzzles. It comes in a nice box that can be used for storage. The box is also ideal for travelling. Although this isn’t an educational toy, it will allow kids to learn how to put together picture puzzles, as opposed to puzzles that are shape or number based.
- These eco-friendly jigsaw pieces are printed on recycled paper, so you can feel good knowing you’ve contributed to a more sustainable world
- This toddler puzzle comes with a soft cotton rope handle so that your little one can easily carry the box
- Bright, bold, and detailed illustrations provide hours of eye-popping joy for your toddler
- This animal puzzle for toddlers takes environmental responsibility to a whole other level, as all the pictures are printed with vegetable oil-based paint
- The individual puzzle pieces, while artfully drawn and smooth to the touch, are somewhat thin and therefore prone to bending and ripping
- Contains small parts that are easy to swallow and may not be suitable for babies or very young toddlers
This toddler puzzle is available in a whopping 14 different themes including outer space, enchanted garden, mermaid cove, and more.
This is an ideal puzzle for those that are only interested in one big puzzle as opposed to a bunch of smaller puzzles. It will allow children to learn how to put puzzle pieces together themselves. We highly recommend checking it out!
View on Amazon
Our nineteen months old love all the different animals and spends a lot of time putting them together. It is made from wood so won’t break easily.
This animal puzzle will allow kids to put together a parade of animals that will not only serve an educational purpose but it will also be a fun learning experience for them. The brightly coloured animals will excite young kids while teaching them something at the same time. Each animal represents a different letter so that kids will learn how to put them in the correct order.
- This super fun animal puzzle for toddlers is made with only eco-friendly materials in order to promote a truly sustainable world
- This toddler puzzle is also made from wood that is sustainably harvested from rubber trees
- Each of the 26 artfully crafted puzzle pieces features a different animal unique to our precious biosphere
- Encourages well-balanced play and promotes the idea that sustainability and harmony can be achieved when we all work together, no matter what part of the world we come from
- Puzzle pieces can be easily chewed by pets, or developing teeth
- Kids that are not interested in animals may not find as much enjoyment with this particular zoology themed toddler puzzle
This amazingly fun animal and alphabet puzzle for toddlers was a finalist for 2014’s Toy of the Year.
Whether you plan on buying this for your own child or gifting it off to someone else this puzzle is perfect for young children with curious minds. It allows them to learn the alphabet and encourages a variety of different ways to play. A must have for any young child.
View on Amazon
For little ones these are absolutely wonderful. It is helpful in learning the alphabets. The colors match for both upper and lower case, which is very useful.
This alphabet puzzle promotes learning and growth through the use of brightly coloured letters which can also encourage the practise of spelling. It also promotes dexterity and hand eye coordination. Kids can use the various letters to spell out different words while at the same time working on their problem solving and puzzle skills.
- Made only with non-toxic materials so that you can rest easy knowing your child is safe playing with this toy at all times
- Teaches matching and spatial relationships, as well as manual dexterity and the alphabet
- Designed for kids and promotes learning, making this a fantastic puzzle for toddler development
- The brightly colored letters make it easy for your child to engage themselves in the toy, and easily combines fun with learning
- Certain letters are somewhat difficult to put in and may present a slight learning curve for some toddlers
- The letter pieces are made of press board rather than solid wood, and are therefore vulnerable to moisture and splitting apart if soaked
Hape Toys have been making child products for over 30 years, their commitment to the customer is such that they will even send you replacement letters, should any succumb to your little one’s over-enthusiasm.
For the price you cannot go wrong with a wooden alphabet puzzle, especially if you have young children who are just learning. We recommend reading more reviews before making a decision, however this puzzle is well worth it in our opinion.
View on Amazon
The build quality is great, our 2 years old enjoy playing with this. Keeps her engaged for a couple hours. I would definitely recommend this to others.
This hands-on interactive toddler puzzle will allow kids to play with a variety of different shapes while working on their fine motor skills. It is a pegboard set with jumbo lacing beads that can be used in a variety of ways in order to encourage different ways of playing.
- This incredibly fun toddler puzzle is perfect for any age and a great addition to any toy box
- Colourful shapes are big and will keep kids engaged for hours as they experiment with all the different pegs
- Shapes easily fit into pegs and are easy to manipulate, even by small or dainty hands
- Lightweight and versatile, this toddler puzzle is a breeze to set up and carry around the home
- Has 36 pieces to play around with so that your little one can mix and match to their heart’s content
- The lacing and threading string is somewhat short, at only 36” long
- Some kids are unsure of what to do with all the pieces as there are a lot of options, and some kids may not come up with an application for them right away
This great shape puzzle for toddlers comes with its own activity book, so kids can begin playing and making patterns right away.
This is a wonderful puzzle for those parents that are looking for a toy that will keep their kids engaged while teaching them about shapes at the same time. It targets certain motor skills and focuses on hand eye coordination as well as colour recognition. We absolutely recommend checking it out and buying it for your child!
The Bottom Line
Whether your child is familiar with a variety of toddler puzzles or they’re just getting started on how to use any of these specific toys, puzzles are great ways to promote motor skills while still teaching kids about numbers and letters. Even if the puzzle is just a simple picture, it has the potential to keep kids engaged for hours and away from electronics while they’re learning something new.
After reading a plethora of reviews and doing extensive research this list has been narrowed down in order to include the best toddler puzzles on the market today. We recommend the Melissa and Doug puzzles as well as the puzzles that include wooden shapes and letters. Teaching essential skills is important for kids so whether you get a puzzle that is educational, or one just to keep them entertained you’ll know that they will still be learning something valuable.
We’ve compiled this list to help you decide what to get your child and we’ve made sure to include toddler puzzles that are not only fun and engaging but ones that will also teach them something. This list has something for every child and some toddler puzzles come with interesting pictures, rather than letters or shapes. In any case, we hope this review helps in deciding what to get your child. There are a ton of very reasonable options to choose from so we’re sure that there will be something to satisfy every parent and every child’s needs.
Copyright © 2018 Digitally Savvy, Inc. All Right Reserved.