Last updated on March 19th, 2019
Dollhouses come in so many different shapes, sizes, colours, and layouts. How do you pick the right dollhouse for your kids?
Of course, the most important thing to remember is that all the best dollhouses are safe for your kids. Each dollhouse included in this article is made with safe materials and are carefully constructed so you can rest easy knowing that your child is playing safely. However, always remember to follow the age guidelines for each dollhouse! Some dollhouses have smaller parts because they are meant for older children, and therefore might be dangerous for babies.
In this article, we’ve done our best to include a variety of dollhouses to show you what’s out there. From plastic dollhouses to boys’ dollhouses to large dolls houses, we are confident that there is at least one dollhouse here that your child is guaranteed to love. You might even love to play with it yourself!
Each of these dollhouses also vary by price and by age. Some of you may be hoping to find one dollhouse that will be great for your babies that they will continue to love into toddlerhood, while others are willing to spend the extra money to buy a new one for your older child. No matter what your needs or your budget are, we have tried to include a little something for everyone in this dollhouse review article.
Best Dollhouses At A Glance
Before we look at the specifics of each dollhouse in this article, check out this comparison table that gives you the details of each one side-by-side. Whether or not you already know what you’re looking for, comparing these details directly can help you see what certain dollhouse models have to offer that others may not.
|Product||Size||Material||Portable||Storage||Age Range||Included Contents||Additional Features||Our Rating||Amazon Rating||Price|
|KidKraft Majestic Mansion||4.5 feet tall||Wood||No||Does not fold up||3+||34 furniture pieces and accessories||Elevator that you can slide up and down the floors, garage with doors that open and close||8/10||4.4/5||Check Price|
|Fisher-Price Loving Family Dollhouse||21 inches tall||Plastic||Small enough to move easily, but no portable handle||Does not fold but is small enough to store easily||2-5||Some furniture pieces and a mom, dad, and baby figure||Front door that opens and closes||9.2/5||4.5/5||Check Price|
|KidKraft Savannah Dollhouse||4.25 feet tall||Wood||No||Does not fold up to be any more compact||3+||13 furniture pieces||Fits any 12-inch dolls, including Barbies. All furniture is hand-painted||8.5/10||4.4/5||Check Price|
|Peppa Pig’s Deluxe House||14 inches tall||Plastic||Yes||Fold it up to close and store compactly||3+||15 play pieces and 3 dolls (Peppa, Suzy, and George)||Furniture pieces have cute surprises inside to make play more realistic and fun||9.5/10||4.7/5||Check Price|
|Calego Modern Doll House||3.5 feet tall||Canvas||Yes||Folds flat||3-8||None||Attach it with Velcro and take it apart and flatten for storage||8/10||4.4/5||Check Price|
|Maxim Wooden Modular Dollhouse||29 inches tall||Sustainable, eco-friendly wood and non-toxic paint||No||6 modular pieces can be stored together or separately||3+||50 furniture pieces and accessories and 2 poseable dolls||6 modular pieces can be put together any way you want—build a different house every time||8.5/10||4.4/5||Check Price|
|Hape All Seasons Wooden Dollhouse||16 inches tall||Wood and non-toxic paint||No||Not collapsible||3-8||Furniture, dolls, and accessories||Large open spaces leave room for play from various angles with several children||9/10||4.5/5||Check Price|
|Fisher-Price Dollhouse Little People Surprise & Sounds||16 inches tall||Plastic||Yes||Folds in half to close||1-5||Furniture and 3 dolls||50+ sounds and songs||9.5/10||4.8/5||Check Price|
|Melissa & Doug Folding Princess Castle||15 inches tall||Wood||No||Folds up to store||3-8||None||Removable turrets, balconies, arched walkways, towers, working drawbridge||9/10||4.5/5||Check Price|
|KidKraft Everyday Heroes Play Set||26 inches tall||Medium-density fibreboard, fabric, plastic||No||Folds up to store||3-10||Furniture, dolls, and accessories||Motorcycle and truck included||8.5/10||4.3/5||Check Price|
View on Amazon
Great doll house! Very sturdy and around five inch tall, and provides hours of entertainment! We purchased this for our three year old daughter. She enjoys playing with it!
KidKraft dollhouses are popular for their variety of styles and durability. This majestic mansion dollhouse is huge, standing at 4.5 feet tall. There are 4 storeys filled with different rooms for your child to play in, and it even comes with a bunch of furniture and accessories to put in the house.
- Big enough to fit Barbie dolls
- Very durable and sturdy
- Several children can play with it at once
- Comes with furniture
- Screws are colour-coded to simplify assembly
- Takes a long time to put together
- Some people’s orders came with broken or missing pieces
Organize all the pieces before you begin building so you don’t get overwhelmed.
The KidKraft Majestic Mansion dollhouse is a great deal for such a large and well-built product. Just make sure you set aside lots of time to build it!
View on Amazon
This doll house is well made and has ideal size for my daughter. She loves to play with this!
This colourful Fisher-Price dollhouse is a wonderful toy for any toddler. With 3 storeys and 5 rooms, your little one is guaranteed to have tons of fun! Additionally, this “Loving Family” dollhouse comes with furniture and a little family to play with.
- Great first dollhouse for young toddlers
- Easy to assemble
- Very durable
- Easy to move and store when not in use
- Does not come with as many accessories as some other dollhouses
- It’s small and the dolls aren’t proportionate
If you want more furniture for the house than it comes with, you can purchase other pieces separately from Fisher-Price that should fit inside wonderfully.
If you’re looking for a small and simple first dollhouse for your toddler, this Fisher-Price dollhouse is a great buy!
View on Amazon
I bought this for my granddaughter on Christmas. She plays with it each and every day. Glad to find such a nice product.
This beautiful KidKraft dollhouse has 4 storeys and 6 rooms for your child to play with for hours on end. It also comes with 13 pieces of detailed furniture, and it is big enough to fit Barbie dolls and other taller dolls.
- Parts are labelled to simplify assembly
- Large enough to fit Barbie dolls
- Detailed walls and furniture
- Can attach it to the wall so it won’t get knocked over
- Some buyers received warped or missing pieces
- Takes around 2 hours to assemble
Separate your screws and the other parts before you begin building to make it simpler.
Although time consuming to build, the KidKraft Savannah Dollhouse will provide your child with hours of entertainment for years to come!
View on Amazon
I got this for my daughter as a gift. It is so lovely and cute! I was very surprised with how well made this set is!
This adorable Peppa Pig toddler dollhouse comes with furniture and 3 dolls. It folds in half like a briefcase so you or your toddler can easily move it from room to room.
- Many furniture pieces can be “flipped” to show a different image (e.g., empty fridge can flip to full fridge)
- All furniture fits inside the house for storage
- Very durable in case your little one likes to play a bit rough
- Pieces are all easy for little hands to play with
- There is no latch to hold the dollhouse closed when folded
- Dolls do not fit on the furniture very well
Add another bundle to get the Peppa Pig car and camper van for even more Peppa Pig fun.
Any Peppa Pig fan will absolutely love this mini dollhouse!
View on Amazon
Our daughter loves this doll house. Very easy to put together. You can fold this put under the bed. Enjoyable.
This lightweight modern dollhouse has 3 storeys and 5 spacious rooms in which your child can create their own little world. When the kids are done playing, the dollhouse folds up easily into one flat piece that can be stored compactly.
- Easy to set up and take down
- Lightweight and foldable for easy storage and portability
- Detailed 2D paintings on the walls foster imaginative play
- Although a bit flimsy, it is still very durable and can withstand extended use
- Does not come with any furniture, dolls, or accessories
- Quite flimsy since it is made of cardboard and fabric
Move all your Barbie furniture into this modern dollhouse, because it fits perfectly!
The Calego Modern Doll House is beautiful, fun, and durable, and you can’t find a better price for such a large dollhouse.
View on Amazon
The multiple sections it has is a plus for my daughter. She can create any type of structure she likes. It was her birthday present and she loves it. Great value.
Dollhouses are great to develop your child’s imagination and creativity, and this Maxim dollhouse takes that to the next level. You can arrange and rearrange 6 modular wooden pieces of this dollhouse in any way you want! Not only can your child play with the cute dolls and furniture that comes with it, but they can also be the architect of their new dollhouse.
- Comes with 50 pieces of furniture and accessories and 2 poseable dolls
- Furniture and structure is very sturdy
- You can separate the rooms so children can either play together or separately
- Pieces are labelled with stickers to help simplify assembly
- Instructions are not very clear so it can be difficult to assemble
- Screw holes can become worn down after a while
Divide all the different parts by type and size before you begin building—it will make the process much easier!
For some children, manipulating all that furniture and building the house can be overwhelming. However, if your kid loves to be extra creative in his or her play, then this Maxim dollhouse is an excellent option!
View on Amazon
Our daughter loves playing with this! It was very easy to put together. I would have given it six stars.
This beautiful open-concept wooden dollhouse is great for multiple children to play with at once. Your kids can arrange the furniture themselves and can have hours of fun creating a world of their own!
- Very sturdy structure
- Cute furniture and colours for boys and girls
- Open concept makes the rooms easy to access from any side
- Furniture is very well-constructed and durable
- Some buyers received their house with missing or broken pieces
- Only has 2 staircases when you need 3 to access each room during imaginative play
The roof can be switched between summer and winter, depending on the season your child wants to explore during their play.
If you’re looking for fun doll house play in an open-concept and gender-neutral toy, this Hape All Seasons Wooden dollhouse is an excellent option.
View on Amazon
Very adorable doll house! With so many features and sounds. Our 2 year old loves it and it's a perfect inclusion to her collection.
This adorable, compact dollhouse is great for your little one who is just beginning to explore imaginative play. There are over 50 sounds, songs, and phrases build into different functions of the house, so your little one can learn about the real world as they play in their pretend one.
- Folds closed so you can carry it around and store it easily
- Lots of doors and other interactive components to play with
- Real world sounds and lights when interacting with certain parts (e.g., light turns on when you open the fridge)
- Durable house, furniture, and dolls
- You need to screw the two pieces together when you receive the house, and some buyers received either screws that did not work or no screws at all
- Most of the furniture pieces are stuck in place so you can’t rearrange the house
Play peek-a-boo with the kitten by sliding the bird back and forth!
This cute toddler dollhouse is filled with hours of fun, excitement, and learning. A great purchase for any little toddler who doesn’t mind some pink!
View on Amazon
I purchased this for my three year old. She was surprised when she saw it and six months later it is still her most favourite toy. Very pleased with this doll house.
If you have a little prince or princess at home, this Melissa and Doug dollhouse will surely brighten up their world. It has all kinds of features that a castle has, like towers, arched walkways, and a working drawbridge. Foster your child’s imagination with this incredible kids doll house.
- Beautiful, detailed painting to decorate the outside of the castle
- A drawbridge to open and close during play
- Folds into a box for easy storage
- Easy to assemble
- The glue that holds the pieces together is not very strong so they could come apart
- The openings are quite small and may be difficult to play in
Smaller dolls, animals, and figures (around 3”) make for the easiest and most fun play in this dollhouse.
Although this castle is not as sturdy as other Melissa and Doug dollhouses, the unique design and beautiful structure of this foldable castle will surely be tons of fun for your little prince or princess.
View on Amazon
If you are looking for an affordable and adorable set, get this one. My granddaughter loves all the accessories and features. Instructions were very clear on assembling. Highly recommend!
This large, foldable play set is perfect for the little hero or heroine in your home. It focuses on everyday heroes like firemen and police officers. It also comes with a couple cars, so you can expand the fun as far as your imagination can take it!
- Accessories and furniture are detailed and realistic
- Folds up for easy storage
- Sturdy construction
- Rooms and exterior are all decorated with great detail
- Somewhat difficult and time consuming to put together
- The dolls that come with it don’t fit perfectly in the furniture or the vehicles
The heads of the screws are coloured to match the spot they need to go in.
For boys and girls who don’t enjoy playing with traditional dollhouses, this is a great alternative that teaches them about some of our incredible everyday heroes while leaving tons to the imagination!
The Bottom Line
With so many different features in each dollhouse on the market, it can be pretty daunting to figure out which will be the perfect one for your child. Whether you want a big doll house or a mini dollhouse, there’s something in this review that will meet your needs.
Whether your toddler or child loves babies, pink, building, or police officers, at least one of these dollhouses will be your little one’s new favourite toy.
For your own preference, you have a variety of materials to choose from as well, from wooden, canvas, or a plastic dollhouse. You can also feel safe knowing that each of these dollhouses was built with care and your little one’s safety in mind. Each dollhouse toy has a specific age range in mind, but some of them will still be great for your kids for years to come.
We know that no matter which dollhouse you pick to add to your child’s collection of toys, both of you will be incredibly happy with your purchase!
Copyright © 2018 Digitally Savvy, Inc. All Right Reserved.