Pregnancy is a beautiful 9-months journey, but it can often be painful and uncomfortable. As your womb, and the little one inside it grows, you start to feel pressure on your joints and increasing aches and pains in your body. Pregnancy support pillows help reduce this pain and discomfort by taking the stress off your body, giving you and your baby a much-needed good night’s sleep.
There are many kinds of pregnancy support pillows, each with their own benefits. We are going to go over the different kinds and how to use them. But first, it is important to understand what a pregnancy support pillow is, why and when you need it, and how much does it cost.
Why Pregnancy Makes Sleep Difficult
There are 3 main reasons that make sleeping difficult during pregnancy: hormones, heartburn and stress.
- Hormones: Changing, increasing and diminishing levels of certain hormones alter sleep patterns and even affect the quality of sleep. Daytime sleepiness, unusual dreams and discomfort all make getting a good night’s sleep seem impossible. Pregnancy support pillows are a great way to offset these unwanted experiences.
- Heartburn: Unpredictable hormonal change also causes heartburn, a burning feeling in the chest and throat.
- Stress: Pregnancy brings a lot of uncertainty and anxiety about whether or not a soon-to-be mom is doing her best, if she could be doing something more, or even is she is doing all the right things. With all these doubts and worries, it is no wonder that sleep seems unattainable.
This is why you need pregnancy support pillows. Sleep is crucial not only for your health but your baby’s health as well. A pregnancy pillow helps you establish and maintain routine in a time where everything else seems so unordered.
A few tips regarding sleep positions without a pregnancy support pillow:
- Sleep on your left side to avoid pressure on the liver.
- In the initial stages you can sleep on your back. However, in the latter stages this will cause pressure to the muscles and spine so it is best to switch to the side.
For more reasons why sleeping on your side helps during pregnancy, watch this great video: Youtube.com
What is a Pregnancy Pillow?
A pregnancy pillow or a pregnancy support pillow is a specially designed pillow that supports the body as it changes over the course of pregnancy. They are longer than usual pillows because they provide support to the whole body and ease discomfort across the various sleeping positions. A pregnancy pillow is particularly useful during the latter stages of pregnancy when sleeping and even lying down can become troublesome.
Pregnancy Pillow Benefits
A pregnancy pillow comes with many benefits. While better sleep is the primary advantage, there are many pros that extend beyond, and are a result of, better sleep. Here is a list of pregnancy pillow benefits:
- Alleviates body aches and pains: Pregnancy increases body weight, which, in turn, puts pressure on the back, legs and joints. A pregnancy pillow removes stress from those parts of the body that are most susceptible to pain.
- Better sleep: A pregnancy pillow provides longer and more restful sleep, allowing you to establish routine, recharge and have a safer pregnancy.
- Blood circulation: Sleeping on the side enhances blood circulation. While during pregnancy, this might be difficult or even painful, a pregnancy support pillow provides a soft padding and cushion that makes sleeping on the side easy and comfortable.
- Helpful later on: A pregnancy support pillow has advantageous even after birth. It allows for a natural way to put your baby in the right position, so that the child can learn to latch.
For more detail on the numerous benefits of pregnancy support pillows watch: Youtube.com
When to Buy a Pregnancy Pillow?
While pregnancy support pillows have been known to provide comfort throughout the 9-month period, they are especially useful during the later stages. Usually, at the 20-week mark, pain and discomfort set in while trying to sleep. Muscles and joints succumb to stress that increases during the third trimester. Usually, the second trimester is the perfect time to start using pregnancy support pillows.
How much is a Pregnancy Pillow?
Pricing for pregnancy support pillows can range anywhere from as low as $20 all the way up to $100. The difference in price is due to the many different types of pillows out there. The pregnancy wedge pillow or maternity wedge pillow is typically the least costly, ranging from $15-$25. Full body pregnancy pillows range from $30-$100 depending on the shape, material used and brand. For example, some U-shaped full body pillows and C-shaped pregnancy pillows cost $50, while those that use luxury memory foam and the finest materials range from $70-$100.
Choosing the right pregnancy support pillow for yourself, at the right price, is largely dependent on your specific needs. Each pregnancy is different and comes with its own set of needs and requirements.
Next, we will go through the different types of pregnancy support pillows and demonstrate how body pillows for pregnant women can be used for much more than sleep.
Where to Buy a Pregnancy Pillow?