Last updated on April 23rd, 2019
Babies and sleep pretty much go hand-in-hand. From the moment your little one arrives, many people ask, “How does she sleep?” With an overwhelming number of baby sleep methods from books and experts, it’s easy to see we are all a little obsessed with infant sleep. Using a co sleeper soon after birth is the norm throughout the world, except in some Western cultures. Why? It’s because of the introduction of cribs/cots and the way that our houses are laid out.
Truth is, babies were never designed to sleep in complete isolation, psychologically or biologically. Your baby depends on you, day and night, to provide for their needs. A co sleeper provides that, as they cannot do it themselves. So why is it that we tend to push them into becoming completely independent little beings long before they are ready for it?
When mama and baby are close, both rest more soundly. When baby is right beside her, mama doesn’t need to get out of bed to pick her baby up for a cuddle, to feed baby, etc. For many mamas and babies, co sleeping is the answer to reducing sleep deprivation while still meeting all of baby’s night time needs.
So it’s now time to take a leap into the world of the co sleeper! If you’re still on the fence, or researching the best bedside bassinet to purchase, we’ve compiled a list of the best baby side bed. Each co sleeper bed have all been analysed and have received positive customer reviews on Consumer Reports from soon to be mothers like you looking for the baby nest bed that are comfortable to wear and use. We’ve read through numerous customer reviews and customer reports to provide you the best of the best co sleeper.
Best Co Sleepers At A Glance
Before we get into a detailed discussion on the different kinds of co sleeper, below is a brief overview of the co sleeper that we think you might want to take a quick look at.
View on Amazon
This is quite nice! My baby is newborn and spends a whole lot of time sleeping and I can tell that she has a good time.
The DockATot Grand helps ease the transition from baby bedside crib to toddler or big kid bed. The built-in, air-permeable tube acts as a bed rail, and gives little ones a snug sense of security in their newer, bigger baby side bed.
- All filling materials are sources from world-leading suppliers and offer hygienic and non-toxic properties
- All docks are pre-washed and do not require washing prior to use
- The Grand Dock is the larger deluxe doc which provides a similar and cozy environment and is recommended for kids 9-36 months
- Kids 9-36 months can use the Grand Dock for cuddling, playing, lounging, resting and everything in between
- The pillow sides are not nearly as firm as the deluxe smaller model forcing parents to refluff almost daily
- This co sleeper comes with a high price ta
Family co sleeping makes breastfeeding easily as there is no need to go to another room to get one’s child.
A breastfeeding mother in a co sleeper attach to bed can easily feed her child without having to wake fully, and can continue to get the important rest she needs.
Whether you’re a jet-setting family or you just want to move the dock from room to room, DockATot is lightweight and simple to travel with. At just 5 lbs, it can follow you anywhere. For longer trips, we recommend protecting it with the DockATot Transport Bag.
View on Amazon
I decided that I wanted my baby to be in the same room and this seemed like a good co sleeper so I got it and turned out that it was actually quite good.
Moms love this infant co sleeper because it gives baby a soft little ‘nest’ of his own while keeping him or her close by. You can feed, soothe, monitor and bond throughout the night with the reassurance that your little one is snug, secure and safe-thanks to our Airflow design that allows air to circulate around baby. Designed to be easily portable for on-the-go convenience, you can also use the newborn bedside sleeper in the crib to help ease baby’s transition from your bed when he’s ready to leave your nest.
- The air flow design allows for air to circulate around baby and it folds easily for travel and storage
- Removable nightlight makes it easy for you to check on baby during the night
- This comfy co sleeper is easily portable for on the go convenience
- This co sleeper can be used in the crib to help baby’s transition from your bed to the crib vice versa
- The co sleeper is fairly large and would be uncomfortable on a king size bed or if you are sleeping
- The co sleeper is very short and may not accommodate your growing baby for a long time
Co sleeping encourages mothers to continue breastfeeding and all of the numerous benefits until the child chooses to wean.
Co sleeping gives the parent the best opportunity to hear the baby in crisis and to respond immediately.
The First Years deceptively simple Close & Secure newborn bedside sleeper allows you to feed, soothe, monitor, and bond with baby in the comfort of your own bed. The baby nest bed is meant to be used from birth until baby rolls over or pushes up on their own, the baby side bed is anchored to your bed by a large flap that tucks under your mattress. The breathable mesh fabric keep air circulating and your baby cool.
View on Amazon
My 1 year old baby seems to be moving an awful lot in his sleep so I got this because it had large panels and it worked, he remained within the co sleeper and my worries ended.
The Snuggle Nest is designed for newborns, from birth until they begin to push up or rollover. This age range is usually 0-4 months. This is generally the same age as a co sleeper bassinet allows. There is a lot of variation in size and activity of infants during the first few months. After your infant outgrows this co sleeper bed, the Snuggle Nest can be used as a handy changing area.
- The baby bedside co sleeper’s sturdy side panels are covered in a super soft mesh that creates a comfortable air barrier between baby and the adult bedding
- The compact fold and lightweight design make it easy to bring the co sleeper wherever your little one needs to rest
- Peek in on your baby with the convenient, soft glow nightlight at the head of the baby bedside co sleeper
- Folds easily and compactly for travel
- This co sleeper is not fitting for a new born since it is too large
- The mattress is flimsy and leads to improper baby sleep positions with legs higher than head
Any night time danger to a child is reduced if there is an adult close by.
Parents who develop deep emotional bods with their children by remaining close by and responsive at night are less likely to turn to abusive behaviour.
The Snuggle Nest is designed to offer a greater sense of security for newborns when co-sleeping with parents. The Snuggle Nest is comprised of two rigid, vented wall units at each end, which help to block adult bedding and create an exclusive sleeping area for baby. Two flexible side panels built into the soft quilted cover are filled with thick structural mesh and allow easy and comfortable access to baby, while forming an air barrier from adult bodies and bedding
View on Amazon
The previous co sleeper I got for my baby wasn’t as comfortable and I didn’t even use it. I tried getting this one and I was happy with it.
Create a more protective, open area for your baby in your own bed with the Baby Delight Snuggle Nest baby co sleeper. Two rigid, vented wall units separate your baby and the adult bedding while helping to prevent rollover. This arm’s reach co sleeper side panels are sturdy, so it’s simple to reach in and access your little one, and they feature structural mesh for air circulation.
- The baby cosleeper’s side panels feature structural mesh that creates an air barrier between baby and adult bedding
- The gentle 1.5” incline wedge can help relieve digestion and congestion for more restful sleep
- The compact folding design makes it easy to bring along on the road with room inside for a few baby’s essentials
- The included Sound and Light unit has a soft night light and the audio unit plays soothing womb sounds or Brahms’ Lullaby
- The infant side sleeper is tiny and very low and the walls are made of soft, thin cushions which may strangle the baby’s nose and mouth are pressed against the wall.
- The baby may get knocked around in the co sleeper bed as you move on the bed.
Shared sleep can further prevent child abuse by helping all family members to obtain the rest they need.
The child does not have to suffer needlessly or cry to bring her mother, and the mother can nurse half-asleep.
A Sound & Light unit offers a gentle night light and soothing sounds of the womb or Brahms’ Lullaby. The five-level volume control and automatic shut-off makes it easy to adjust your young one’s sleeping environment. For added comfort, the gentle incline wedge can be used to help with congestion and digestion. When it’s time for travel, the infant side sleeper folds easily and compactly and even has room inside to store a few essentials.
View on Amazon
I got this because having my baby in a separate room seemed like a hassle and this co sleeper was quite adequate.
Baby Delight, the creator of the Snuggle Nest, is growing! With a line expansion including a convenient Traveler version of the original Snuggle Nest, unique bath and potty products, a portable chair that grows with your child, innovative and high-tech baby monitors, and much more.
- Use this product to create a more open and protective area for a baby sleeping in an adult bed
- Five-level volume control and automatic shut-off lets you create the perfect sleep environment
- Enjoy easy access to your baby across the flexible side panels of the baby co sleeper
- This bedside baby bed is machine washable for easy maintenance. It is also made with waterproof foam mattress with a fitted wraparound sheet
- This newborn bedside sleeper is limited as it is only good for smaller babies who don’t move around much in their sleep
- The bedside baby bed isn’t super sturdy on the bottom and the baby tends to roll on to one side or the other easily
Studies show that new moms do not experience a better quality of sleep if their babies go to the hospital nursery at night. Co sleeping ensures the mother that their baby is safe.
Mothers release oxytocin when close to their babies. Oxytocin improves sleep quality and it’s also great for breastfeeding.
Baby Delight is a brand that Mom and Dad can count on for a sense of comfort every day. With 30+ years of product development experience and our expanding product line, nothing brings your baby closer.
View on Amazon
I think that the CubbyCove is so comfortable that it may actually be slightly more comfortable than my baby’s actual cot and so I end up getting putting him to bed in this more often.
The CubbyCove is the ultimate soothing environment for your Baby, and great for: Co-Sleeping, Tummy Time, Daytime Napping, Infant Massaging, Diaper Changing, Lounging and Playing. This little eden for your baby is sturdy yet lightweight, it’s easy to carry around the house and have your baby next to you at all times.
- CubbyCove is a portable cot that offers a safe and soothing environment for your baby and toddler
- This baby pod is sturdy yet lightweight, and it comes with a bonus travel tote bag for when you travel or go on a play date
- The CubbyCove features premium 3D Mesh fabrics which are highly breathable, permeable and with great anti-bacterial properties
- This product is multifunctional as it is a lounger bed to rest and play, and even a comfortable cushion for your baby to get a diaper change
- There is poor stiching quality on the cover and the fabric isn’t as soft according to reviews.
- The have been complaints about the zipper breaking.
Do not wear clothing with strings and wear very long hair tied up when sleeping with baby.
Keep fluffy pillows and blankets away from the baby co sleeper, and be sure baby does not get over heated.
Its design won’t smother, squeeze or squish your little one, we leave that for when you have them in your arms. Also, CubbyCove has a gentle 5 degree angle, it’s easily washed in your washing machine, made with soft and breathable fibers. Overall a comfortable, warm and cozy environment for your sweet bundle of joy!
View on Amazon
I don’t think I have felt more comfortable to put my baby in any other co sleeper than the co sleeper bassinet. This literally attaches to the side of the bed and I want to be really close to my baby.
The babybay sidecar crib is a bedside bassinet and a baby co sleeper crib that attaches securely and easily to your bed so you can soothe and nurse your baby without leaving the comfort of your covers. Safe and snug in his or her own bedside crib your baby is right by your side, which means extra bonding time and reduced risk of night time crises with this.
- All high quality water based finished used on the babybay infant co sleeper are non-toxic with zero or low VOC
- The co sleeper has a wide, fully height adjustable sleeping platform, fits flush and secure to any bed height when crib is attached to bed
- The Babybay co sleeper is made of only sustainability sourced beech wood that offers antibacterial and antistatic protection
- This baby co sleeper attaches to bed with an assembly time of less than 15 minutes
- Some reviews indicate that this co sleeper is dusty and the wood was damaged
- This crib attached to bed isn’t as easy to assemble as advertised
If baby is bottle-fed and not breastfed, they should sleep on a separate sleep surface alongside the bed such as a co sleeper attach to bed.
If you choose to rouse, have sleep apnoea or are obese, baby should be on a separate sleep surface.
With a modular design, you can transform your baby bedside sleeper into a portable baby sleeper using a roller kit, or convert to a standalone sidecar crib with a conversion kit. Next to being held in your arms, the baby bedside crib is the place where baby most spends time cradled in comfort. This co sleeper crib is half-moon shaped to mimic the protective feel of a hug.
View on Amazon
This is so nice and easy to carry I often take this to the kitchen even so I can watch my baby sleep as I get work around the house done.
The SwaddleMe By Your Side baby bed sleeper provides a safe and comfortable environment for bed-sharing with baby. Feed, soothe, monitor and bond with your newborn while keeping them safe and protected. This arm’s reach mini co sleeper has a sturdy metal frame protects baby from parents rolling over. All-around mesh sides ensure your little one doesn’t overheat and provides a clear view of baby for parents’ peace of mind.
- This baby bed sleeper has mesh sides to provide a clear view of baby and help air circulate to protect baby from overheating
- This baby co sleeper for bed allows parents to feed soothe, monitor and bond with baby throughout the night, while ensuring baby is safe
- This arm’s reach co sleeper includes a compressible mesh section that allows parents to comfortably lay an arm in to reach and see baby clearly at night
- This product has a comfortable mattress pad and a fitted sheet to keep baby safe from loose blankets
- The arm’s reach mini co sleeper is too big and bulky for smaller beds
- There are complaints that this baby bedside sleeper has a bad chemical smell and exposed metal parts
Do not allow children to share a sleep space with baby under one year.
If you are a smoker, baby should have a separate sleep surface such as a bedside crib.
Keep baby close and protected with this bedside co sleeper – the safest way for baby to sleep next to you. This bedside co sleeper provides a cozy and comfortable cosleeping space with mesh sides that circulate air and provide easy access to soothe baby.
View on Amazon
My toddler really liked the design on this one that he ended up recreating it on my wall with crayons...but he is also comfortable so there’s that.
The Grand is perfect for cuddling, playing, lounging, resting and everything in between. The DockATot Grand helps ease the transition from a sidecar crib to toddler or big kid bed.
- This co sleeper eases features built-in, air permeable bumpers to act as bed rails and gives little ones a snug sense of security
- This baby co sleeper for bed reduces startle reflex due to its unique shape, positioning the sides and the cushioning effect of the dock
- This provides portability since it is lightweight and simple to travel with
- The mattress on each DockATot is a soft thermobonded fiber wadding plate with a great bearing capacity to relieve pressure on the head. This reduces the risk of flat head syndrome
- There are complaints that this product flattened out within weeks and the sides don’t stay up
- This in bed co sleeper comes with a very expensive price tag
Parents should not be under the influence of alcohol, drugs or any medications that can have a sedative effect.
Use a firm mattress and an in bed co sleeper surface free of entrapment hazards.
The built-in, air-permeable tube acts as bed rails, and gives little ones a snug sense of security in their newer, bigger in bed co sleeper. Whether you’re a jet-setting family or you just want to move the dock from room to room, DockATot is lightweight and simple to travel with. At just 5 lbs, it can follow you anywhere.
View on Amazon
This is absolutely terrific and I am glad that I bought this. I would totally recommend this to anyone looking for a great co sleeper.
The Snuggle Me Organic is made in the USA and its patented design pulls in to hug your sweet baby. This hugging sensation calms baby and, with its tight fit, helps wedge them into place.
- This has been smartly designed to hug your baby
- This is made with certified organic fabrics and filled with virgin polyester fiber fill
- This is multi functional and portable allowing it to be the perfect lounger, rest spot, tummy time aid and travel mat
- This is infant co sleeper is for parents who want the best co sleeper with its high quality and highly functional capabilities
- There are some complaints about this infant co sleeper being too squishy for babies
- The product doesn’t have enough padding where the baby sleeps
Feeding on demand helps mothers maintain an adequate milk supply
Babies are designed to eat frequently at night and cosleeping helps make it easier for mothers and baby to meet this need
The Snuggle Me is meant to fit baby’s head and torso with their legs draped over the bottom end of the lounger. This design helps keep baby on their back, and also gives it a long, useful life in your home. Even older babies can enjoy.
The Bottom Line
At its heart, co-sleeping is the practice of sleeping in the same bed with your infant or child. With so many advantages of cosleeping with baby, it’s no wonder so many people are starting to give it a try. Parents around the world are starting to sleep in close physical proximity to their children more and more every year, and for the most part, the results have been positive.
Does a bedside sleeper help baby sleep better? Sure, but it does a lot for parents, too! Your child won’t be the only one enjoying the benefits the bedside sleeper practice. While it’s always important to make decisions about the well-being of your child based on his or her needs first and foremost, there’s no shame in wanting to make a choice that can help you as well. Many parents who co-sleep with their babies are happier, healthier, and much less anxious than those who don’t.
Can you imagine having a good, solid night of sleep with a newborn or infant? Luckily for you it’s possible! We did our research to provide you with the best co sleeper. While you’ll still need to wake up to tend to your child during the course of the night, you won’t have to be nearly as wide awake when all you have to do is roll over and see what your baby needs. You won’t have to turn on a lot of lights, walk down the hall, and potentially wake up everyone else in the house either. Your baby isn’t the only one who’ll be resting better!
Copyright © 2018 Digitally Savvy, Inc. All Right Reserved.