Throughout the centuries, babies have been swaddled in a blanket for security and warmth. It’s one of the most iconic images we have of a newborn: tightly wrapped in a snug little wrap with only their tiny head peeking out!
Not everyone agrees with the practice of swaddling, but it’s a well-known way of wrapping young babies to help comfort and settle him or her. If you do decide to swaddle your baby, it’s important to only do it for the first three to four months and to wrap them in lightweight fabrics for good air circulation.
The belief among swaddling advocates is that it mimics the pressure they felt in the womb and helps them feel safe and comfortable during those early weeks. The choice is completely yours whether you choose to use this method or swaddling with arms out. The most important thing is that you’re comfortable with your decision.
So it’s now time to take a leap into the world of the baby swaddle! If you’re still on the fence, or researching the best baby swaddle to purchase, we’ve compiled a list of the best swaddle. Each swaddle have all been analysed and have received positive customer reviews on Consumer Reports from soon to be mothers like you looking for the swaddle that are comfortable to wear and use. We’ve read through numerous customer reviews and customer reports to provide you the best of the best swaddle.
Best Baby Swaddles At A Glance
Before we get into a detailed discussion on the different kinds of swaddle blankets, below is a brief overview of the swaddle blankets that we think you might want to take a quick look at.
View on Amazon
The baby Loovi baby swaddle blankets are what your baby deserves! They are so soft to the touch and once you wrap your baby around it he/she remains comfortably warm.
THE BABY LOOVI INFANT SWADDLE BLANKETS allow parents to wrap their baby in a super-soft material, keeping their baby calm and cozy – Say goodbye to towels, and hello to the superior way to comfort your little one.
- This swaddle is made with all eco-friendly organic material including 70% bamboo and 30% cotton
- This swaddle wrap is made with a breathable fabric to keep your baby calm and cozy
- This blanket is extra large sized for that extra wiggle room. Perfect newborn swaddle for infants of all sizes.
- This swaddle wrap is multifunctional and features a stunning unisex design
- You should avoid machine washing or tumble drying to retain softness of this infant swaddle
- This swaddle needs to be hand washed and hang dried to maintain softness
Always put your baby to sleep on their back.
Never place babies on their tummy.
Young babies love to feel snug and secure, that’s why Baby Loovi baby swaddle blankets are lovingly crafted from 70% bamboo and 30% cotton. It’s a great way to help ease your baby from the shock of being out of the womb. With so many positives, it’s easy to see why people worldwide are now using swaddling techniques in this super-soft, breathable blanket set.
View on Amazon
I received a lot of swaddle blankets for my baby shower and I have to say that these ones were the most comfortable. I could tell that my baby was more comfortable in these and that’s why I think these are the best swaddle blankets.
Margaux & May swaddle blankets are 100% muslin cotton, which is extremely comfortable, soft and breathable with a luxurious feel too. They’re nice and warm and snug for colder days, but cool and comfortable on warmer days. While muslin blankets are used traditionally to swaddle babies, our blankets can also be used as a cover-up when Mom is feeding out and about.
- These muslin blankets have a beautiful open weave making them incredibly breathable and snuggly
- The swaddle is lightweight, soft, gently and stretchy and can be washed multiple times
- Each print on this swaddle is uniquely designed for you to pic a design that suits your style and nursery
- This is the best swaddle for your own family or an expectant mother to-be
- Reviews indicate that the swaddle looses its softness after washing in a washing machine
- The blankets weren’t as soft upon arrival according to reviews
Never cover your baby’s head.
Do not swaddle your baby’s hips too tightly.
The Margaux & May 100% Muslin Blankets are a must-have accessory for Moms. It’s not often that you find style, practicality and comfort all fused into one! But that’s exactly what they’ve done at Margaux & May with their beautiful unique muslin blankets.
View on Amazon
If I ever took my baby to a party this is what I would wrap him in! This is so visually appealing and my baby loves it too!
Whether you’re looking for the best baby shower gift or a premium baby blanket that you can use to pamper your own little one, you’re sure to love the luxury of an ADDISON BELLE Organic Muslin Swaddle Blanket.
- The waffle stitch weave and breathable cotton keeps babies cool in the summer and warm in the winter
- The unique fox and bear pattern is a stylish add on and is sure to turn heads
- Thanks to the size of this swaddle, it can also be used a a nursing cover, playtime/stroller blanket and more
- Made from the finest quality organic muslin cotton and finished with non-toxic reactive dyes
- This swaddle is very thin and slightly scratchy based on reviews
- The swaddle fades after a few washes
You should not swaddle your baby at every sleep time.
Do not let your baby overheat or use a heavy blanket for swaddling. You can check heat by feeling the back of their neck.
This 100% Organic Swaddle Blanket is the finest quality design you’ll find on here and is safer for baby’s skin. This best swaddle uses only certified organic muslin cotton to make their baby blankets to ensure that they’re free of all chemical residues, and the patterns are made with GOTS certified non-toxic reactive dyes.
View on Amazon
It certainly isn’t false advertisement for these guys to be putting soft in the title. These swaddles are so very soft and comfortable and nice to the touch for my little boy.
For generations, parents have cared for their babies with muslin. The aden + anais silky soft muslin swaddle sets combines breathability and versatility with very soft viscose made from bamboo, making it the most luxurious fabric to use on your baby’s delicate skin.
- The infant swaddle is prewashed and gets super soft from the start and even softer as you wash it
- The fabric on the baby swaddle is breathable, versatile and soft as a mothers touch
- No matter how you’re using this swaddle, it will surround your little one in comfy goodness round the clock
- This super swaddle makes the perfect gift with its unique swaddle designs
- The material of this swaddle is most likely to snag onto tiny items such as a ring
- The blanket is too soft and there is not much grip when swaddling
Don’t keep dwaddling older babies once they start wriggling and moving which is usually around 3 months.
Swaddling is only intended for very young babies.
Created by a mom on a mission, this award-winning original swaddle continues to set the standard worldwide. Made from organic cotton grown in an environmentally and socially responsible way, the organic swaddle is an eco-conscious essential making it the most luxurious fabric to use on baby’s delicate skin.
View on Amazon
These swaddles are of such high quality! I have washed this so many times and the fabric has still remained soft after all of the washes.
Wrap your baby in pure cotton softness. Features Swaddle Designs stylish prints with a touch of shimmer. Made from premium cotton, the generously large swaddle blankets get softer with every wash. The open weave increases breathability and reduces the risk of overheating.
- This Swaddle Designs blanket features designer prints with a touch of shimmer
- Each blanket is generously sized at 46 x 46 inches
- This blanket has a set of 4 premium muslin blankets. Each of them are pre-washed and gets softer with every wash
- This baby swaddle wrap is ideal for swaddling, sunshield, tummy time, privacy throw and more
- These swaddle sets creates a lot of flying lint after washing. Not ideal for those with allergies
- Machine washing this blanket may make the blanket come apart due to its light material
Swaddling helps calm your baby by recreating the restricted space in the womb.
Studies have shown that swaddled babies wake less frequently and sleep longer than non-swaddled babies.
The Swaddle Designs blanket has a generous size and their helpful labels make swaddling easy as 123. With this swaddle, your baby will sleep longer and will reduce awakenings caused by startle reflex. Beyond swaddling, you can use this as a nursing cover, sunshield on the stroller and more.
View on Amazon
The thing with the zipper was quite unique to be honest and I liked it. I was, at first, worried that the zipper might be uncomfortable but it wasn’t.
When you place your baby to sleep on their back, their natural position is for their arms to go up. The Love to Dream Swaddle UP Original features a patented design that allows you to swaddle your baby with their arms up in this more natural position. If they are swaddled with their arms restricted, they cannot do this, which causes them to wake, get frustrated. Love to Dream has been finding simple, yet genius solutions to everyday parenting and baby needs.
- The sleepsack swaddle is easy to use since you don’t need to use any wrapping techniques. Simply put your baby inside the swaddle and zip up
- This baby swaddle does not restrict the arms and hands to the sides or across the chest which some babies don’t tolerate
- This zipper swaddle will not come loose or undone during the night
- This zipper swaddle has a 2-way zipper that lets you open from the bottom giving you waist-down access
- This swaddle sack is not made for babies with sensitive skin since the outside edge/ridges are hard
- This super swaddle cannot be used in the dryer since it will shrink
Swaddling may also help reduce the risk of sudden infant death by keeping babies on their back during sleep.
Swaddling is for very young babies, from birth to when they begin showing signs that they can roll over.
The Swaddle UP sleepsack swaddle is a stretchy blend of cotton and elastane designed to be snug and cozy around their torso, contain baby’s arms, and thereby calm the startle reflex, encouraging a long, restful night’s sleep for Mom and baby. With the Swaddle UP, there are no difficult wrapping techniques required and no risk of dangerous loose blankets in your baby’s crib.
View on Amazon
My baby sleeps so easily in this swaddle blanket. All I have to do is wrap her in this and rock him and sometimes sing a lullaby.
The HALO SleepSack Swaddle helps baby sleep better. Its adjustable swaddle wrap immobilizes baby’s arms to prevent startle reflex. It is the only 3-way adjustable swaddle that adjusts to your baby’s sleep style. Swaddle arms in, hands-to-face, one or both arms out to ensure baby’s best sleep and an easy and gentle transition to the SleepSack wearable blanket when it is time to stop swaddling. It’s the easy and safe way to swaddle with a baby swaddle sack.
- This baby swaddle sack is 3-way adjustable to adapt to your baby’s sleep style
- This super swaddle is recognized as ‘Hip Healthy’ by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute
- You can use this swaddle pod over regular sleepwear to take the place of loose blankets
- This halo swaddle pod has an inverted zipper for easy diaper changes.
- This sleep sack tends to ride up and cover baby’s face
- The zipper on this sleepsack may irritate babies with sensitive skin
Stop swaddling once your baby can roll onto their tummy or if your baby simply does not seem to like it.
Don’t swaddle your baby if they share a sleep surface with another person.
Used in hospital nurseries nationwide, the Halo SleepSack Swaddle is the #1 choice of hospitals. Its strong adjustable fasteners ensure a perfect fit and resist breakouts for more secure swaddling. Plus, its innovative zipper swaddle, unzips from the bottom allowing your baby to stay swaddled for easy diaper changes.
View on Amazon
My son rests so easy in this once I wrap him up all tight in cozy in this like a little cinnamon roll! I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good swaddle blanket.
Ziggy Baby’s beautiful 100% Cotton Baby Swaddling Blanket Wraps make the perfect newborn swaddle thanks to it super soft and cuddly blankets. Trendy and stylish baby swaddle sack designs from our Neutral Grey Collection come in Grey Chevron, Cross, Arrow in an affordable 3 pack.
- The swaddle sets features safe adjustable baby swaddle wrap for girls and boys and creates a womb-like feeling for newborns
- This is the best baby swaddle that offers a universal fit which have fabric wings that fasten securely with hook and loop attachments to create the perfect fit
- This swaddle is made with 100% premium cotton
- This sleepsack swaddle is perfect for babies, newborns or infants 7 to 14 pounds
- There are some complaints about baby’s being able to break out of the swaddles and being woken easily
- The size of this swaddle is more smaller in person than advertised
Use a lightweight cotton or muslin swaddle for your baby. Rugs or blankets are a no-no.
Prevent overheating by making sure your baby is not over-dressed underneath the wrap.
You can complete your crib bedding sets with matching grey and white swaddle wrap, crib sheets, changing pad covers, and muslin swaddle blankets. Ziggy Baby Swaddles have adjustable Velcro flaps that securely snuggle your newborn or infant in a safe, universal fit Swaddling Sleep Sack for girls or boys.
View on Amazon
I’m so glad that there are companies that manufacture products like this. My baby was born with Hip Dysplasia and I want what’s best and most comfortable for her.
Swaddle your baby safely, comfortably, and effectively with Swaddle Strap. It’s asy to use, even for sleep-deprived parents. Swaddling infants is recommended to help calm them and improve their quality/duration of sleep. This strap is designed so it will not overheat or constrict your baby’s legs.
- This swaddle is super soft and made with 100% cotton
- This Anna & Eve swaddle strap is very easy to put on your baby; it takes seconds
- This swaddle strap is perfect for both hot and cold weather-use with or without a blanker or sleep sack
- This swaddle is perfect for longer and stronger babies
- This swaddle is not very stretchy and it might fit a bit tight
- If you have a baby that wiggles a lot, this swaddle may not be ideal as he/she may wiggle out and cover your baby’s face
Newborn babies are usually swaddled with their arms folded across their chest. Once their startle reflex is gone (usually around 3 months), leave your baby swaddling with arms out so they can self-sooth.
Do not cover your baby’s head and face. This is to prevent your baby from overheating and from the wrap blocking their breathing.
This unique two-strap design of Swaddle Strap provides maximum swaddling safety and softness. Swaddle Strap does not enclose baby’s hips-the International Hip Dysplasia Institute acknowledges Swaddle Strap as a Hip Healthy product. Perfect for any climate. Baby can be swaddled with Swaddle Strap while wearing anything, be it nothing at all to jammies or a sleep sack.
View on Amazon
I got this pack of swaddles believing that they won’t be that good because there is three of them for so cheap, but I was wrong. I could tell that my baby was quite comfortable in them.
You are absolutely right to consider your baby’s safety and comfort first. This GemmyBaby muslin swaddle blanket is made with 100% organic cotton muslin fabric, just right for your baby’s delicate skin. Soft with each wash, lightweight and breathable, stretchy and durable, our swaddle gives your baby soothing snug and strong support.
- This is made with 100% organic cotton and classic muslin fabric. Its soft, lightweight, breathable and durable
- As your baby is swaddled, your little one is kept in ideal body temperature, feeling safe and secure
- This design is gender neutral and is a cute design for both girls and boys
- This is a multi-purpose swaddle since it can be used as a burp cloth, as a nursing cover, a stroller cover and many more
- After a few washed, they become a bit stiffer with a rough texture
- This product comes with a high price tag
For effective swaddling techniques, the wrap must be firm but not too tight. It should allow your baby’s chest to rise normally during breathing.
The wrap should not be too tight around your baby’s hips and legs.
This Gemmy Baby swaddle is as soft and breathable. The swaddle recreates the secure and snuggling feeling of the womb and helps your baby to sleep longer and more comfortable.
The Bottom Line
Swaddling has many benefits, especially helping baby sleep. Bundling your little one up tight can help keep them feel comforted and sooth them to sleep. It is also shown to help baby sleep longer, because it restricts them from startling themselves awake.
We absolutely love aden by aden + anais Unisex Silky Soft Swaddle, their breathable fabric is super comfy and safe for wrapping your baby warm and snug. You can also use them for receiving blankets, or even to cover your baby while you’re nursing.
Doing some research (like reading this article for instance) can really help you know how to swaddle a newborn and answer all of your questions you may have. Here are a few things to look out for:
Make sure to be careful you don’t overheat your baby. The average full-term baby needs to be in a room between 65 and 70 degrees F, a little bit of clothing and a light airy blanket. If you live in a really warm climate, then you can skip the clothing and just swaddle, or try using a lighter blanket.
Now that you know The Good The Bad and the wonderful aspects of the swaddle it’s all in your hands. Remember, every baby is different, you can always give it a trial run and see how to swaddle a newborn and if you and baby like it.
Copyright © 2019 Net Parents. All Right Reserved.