Lightest Convertible Car Seats Reviews
Lightest Convertible Car Seats Reviews
Nothing can match the thrill of becoming a parent. However, within a few weeks, you will realize that the joyful ride of parenthood has lots of bumps.
You will soon have to buy a lot of baby gear and each of them will come with an inflated price tag because their manufacturers know that you wouldn’t mind paying a hefty price to ensure your baby’s safety and comfort. Car seats are no exception to this. You can find insane numbers of light car seats for travel, all within a drastically varied price range. Very often, we assume that the lightest convertible car seats are the most expensive ones and end up burning a hole in our pockets. However, you would be surprised to know that many popular brands manufacture lightest toddler cars seeds that are quite inexpensive and yet, they are absolutely safe for your baby. In this blog, we will brief you more about affordable and safe car seats light that you can buy for everyday use and even for travels. Whether you want to install it in your car and forget about it or you want to switch it between the vehicles or carry it for your vacations, these lightest convertible car seats will serve your purpose.
Lightest Convertible Car Seats At A Glance
A few parents install car seats once and then forget about it until their baby has outgrown it. For them, the weight of the seat would matter the least. However, a lot of parents often switch it between cars. Many of them also carry it with them during their getaways and vacations. Some need it for carpooling too. If you have such requirements, you must buy the lightest toddler car seats that suit your budget. Light car seat for travel will make it much more convenient for you to carry your baby gear without paying extra weight charges at the airport. Below, we have listed the top ten lightest convertible car seats that will definitely serve your purpose without costing you a fortune or without compromising the safety of your little one.
Before we get into our list of the ten best light car seats for travel in brief, let’s look at some of their features and specifications that make them worthy of being included in our list.
If you are looking for the lightest toddler car seat, this Graco Atlas 65 2-in-1 Harness Booster Car Seat definitely deserves your attention. It is a 2-in-1 car seat light meant for babies weighing 22 pounds to 100 pounds. For younger children you can convert it to a 5 point harness forward-facing car seat and for older ones you can convert it to a high back belt-positioning booster. It has 5 positions adjustable headrest for your baby’s comfort. You can easily adjust it with one hand.There is an integrated harness storage compartment, so the unused harness straps won’t be hanging around and troubling your child. You can easily recline this baby car seat light to two positions. There are integrated dual cup holders to hold your baby’s juice, water, etc.
- 2-in-1 booster car seat that can be converted into a 5 point safety harness forward-facing car seat.
- Can accommodate a child weighing 22 pounds to 100 pounds.
- The headrest and harness can be adjusted together upto 10 height positions.
- It uses ultra-easy No-Rethread Simply Safe Adjust harness system that lets you adjust the height without re-threading.
- The seat pad, harness, and buckle covers of this light car seat for travel are machine-washable.
- There is an integrated harness storage compartment to store the harness straps when not in use.
- Easy to install but removing it from your car will take some time.
- It doesn’t recline to a good extent.
The easy no-rethread headrest and safety harness height adjustment system of this baby car seat light is perfect for your growing child. You can adjust the height within seconds. Although it isn’t really the lightest toddler car seat, it is still sturdy and great for everyday use.
This is another fantastic lightest convertible car seats by Graco. It is a 3-in-1 harness booster seat and can be used as a forward-facing harness booster, high back belt-positioning booster, and as a backless belt-positioning booster. Suitable for babies weighing 22 lbs to 100 lbs, this light car seat for air travel features SimplySafe adjust hardness system that lets you adjust the height of the headrest and harness together using only one hand. The headrest can be adjusted to eight different positions. The two cup holders are removable and the seat pad, body insert, and harness covers are machine washable. It is one of the lightest baby car seats, which can be used for regular carpooling.
- Counted among the best light car seats, this one has been rigorously crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213.
- It can be used as a harness booster, a high back booster, and as a backless booster to accommodate a baby weighing 22 to 100 pounds.
- The headrest and safety hardness can be adjusted together with just one click and without the need of re-threading.
- The open-loop belt helps you position the vehicle seat belt properly.
- The seat pad, body support, and harness covers are machine washable to maintain the hygiene of this baby car seat light.
- The car seat is FFA approved for air travel.
- It doesn’t have any reclining position.
- The cup holders are snap-on types and could be easily snapped off.
The no-rethread height adjustment for headrest and harness can make your life much easier as compared to the other lightest convertible car seats where you have to manually thread them every time you need to adjust the height. The backless booster option helps your child transition smoothly. This car seat light is very inexpensive and is built to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213. Therefore, it totally deserves to be on our list of the best light car seats.
It is one of the most expensive and light car seats for travel on our list. Although it costs a lot, the added protection, flexibility of use, and convenience justify the price. It is a reversible lightest baby car seat that can be used as rear-facing as well as forward-facing seat. Kids weighing 5 to 65 pounds can be accommodated in it. The headrest and harness can be adjusted to 10 different positions and the adjustment process doesn’t require rethreading. You can adjust them even when your child is seated on this best light infant car seat. Counted among the safest car seat light, this one offers side impact protection to prevent any type of head, neck, and spine injury. The seat is made of energy-absorbing foam that absorbs the shock and reduces the impact on your child. It also has a top tether hook, a contoured steel backplate, and a shock-absorbing foam element device; all of which work together to protect your child from any type of injury even in the worst situation. No wonder why we highly recommend it despite its high price.
- Counted among the best light infant car seat, it can be used in rear-facing and forward-facing positions.
- It has EPS side foam in the shell and in the head panels to offer side impact protection.
- The padded seat has a removable cushion for newborns.
- It has 10 different headrest and five point safety harness positions that can be adjusted without removing your baby from the seat.
- This light car seat for air travel has an energy management system which uses a contoured steel backplate for reducing forward movement upon impact.
- It also features shock absorbing foam element device and adjustable side impact protection to keep your baby safe, comfortable, and undisturbed during travel.
- The car seat is big and occupies a good amount of space but that’s why it is able to offer you such great protection.
- The chest button is easy to unlock, so you need to teach your child not to try unlocking it.
As mentioned, if budget is not your concern, this is one of the safest and lightest toddler car seats. It is quite cushiony and can be cleaned easily. Installing and uninstalling it is easy, especially if you have latches. The tether in the rear-facing position helps provide additional protection to your baby. Great buy.
This 3-in-1 light car seat for travel is something that you can use for your newborn until he weighs 100 pounds. It can grow with your growing child and can be used in rear-facing and forward-facing positions and as a belt-positioning booster as well. It features a QuickFit harness which can be adjusted along with the headrest in one simple step without any hassles. For your child’s comfort, this lightest toddler car seat has three recline positions. Other than the QuickFit button, the harness has holders that help keep them open when you are trying to make your child sit on it. If you are wondering how long are convertible car seats good for, you would be delighted to know that this one can last as long as your child needs a car seat. To maintain its hygiene, you can simply take off the seat pad without removing the harness and wash it. What more can you expect from such an inexpensive and lightest convertible car seats!
- This 3-in-1 lightest toddler car seat can be used in rear-facing position, forward-facing position and as a belt-positioning booster.
- It offers side impact protection to your baby.
- The QuickFix harness lets you adjust the height of the harness and headrest easily with no hassles.
- Being one of the best light infant car seats, it can accommodate babies weighing 5 pounds to 100 pounds.
- It has been crash tested and meets or exceeds all federal standards to be used and sold in the US (FMVSS 213)
- It is thoughtfully designed to give you up to 7 inches more legroom when your baby is in the rear-facing position.
- Installing this baby car seat light requires some time. Refer to the product manual to learn the installation process.
- When you use it as a belt-positioning booster, the back support still remains attached to it i.e. you cannot convert it into a backless booster.
The manufacturer of this light car seat for travel claims that it can last for 10 years from the date of manufacture and can accommodate a baby weighing up to 100 pounds, which is great because not many convertible baby car seats light have such high weight bearing capacity. Further, it is very inexpensive and yet, it meets or exceeds all federal safety standards, which is why it totally deserves to be on our list of best light car seats.
Available in five different color combinations, this Disney baby car seat light can easily accommodate babies weighing 5 pounds to 50 pounds. It can be used in rear-facing and forward-facing positions. For your baby’s safety and comfort, it has a 5 point safety harness with 6 harness heights and 3 buckle locations that can be easily adjusted as per your growing child’s needs. The harness height adjustment is manual and requires rethreading. It offers side impact protection as well. The manufacturer claims that it is one of the lightest convertible car seats and, therefore, it is perfect for parents who travel a lot. Being a Disney product, it is manufactured strictly as per the Federal safety guidelines. It also meets the requirements for air travel established by the FAA, which means it is one of the best light car seats for air travel.
- This light car seat for air travel meets all Federal safety standards and FAA standards for air travel too.
- Can be used in rear-facing and forward-facing positions.
- Although being the lightest baby car seat, it offers side impact protection to keep your baby safe from injuries.
- The height of the harness can be adjusted as your child grows.
- The seat pad is machine-washable and dryer-friendly.
- It has two integrated cup holders that are accessible in front-facing as well as in rear-facing position.
- It is a very inexpensive and lightest toddler car seat.
- The Mickey headrest and the harness need to be adjusted manually but, since it is a very inexpensive car seat light, you shouldn’t expect more than this.
- It can accommodate your baby until he weighs 50 pounds, so your child will outgrow it sooner than the other lightest convertible car seats.
If you are on a tight budget or if you need something for short-term use, this Disney car seat is definitely the best light infant car seat to consider. The fabric and design are very attractive and you won’t have any trouble adjusting your child to it. Although it is very affordable, it is still approved for air travel. Perfect for parents who travel frequently.
It is FAA approved for air travel. If you are wondering how to travel with a toddler car seat, buy this one. You can simply fold it for carrying it in flight or store it when not in use. It is available in 11 different shades, giving you the flexibility to pick a color that your baby likes the most. Being a 3-in-1 best light infant car seat, it can be used in rear-facing and forward-facing positions and as a booster seat. Its weight-bearing capacity is much better than many other lightest convertible car seats listed here. The rear-facing position can hold up to 45 lbs of weight whereas the front-facing position can hold 65 lbs. When converted into a booster, it can hold babies up to 120 lbs. Being one of the most expensive and light car seats for air travel, it offers dynamic head and side impact protection. The sides are made of aluminum and have energy-absorbing EPS foam cushioning to provide adequate protection. It has audible-click and visual locking indicator connector system and many other plush features that justify the high price of this lightest baby car seat.
- This light car seat for travel can be used in rear-facing and front-facing positions and as a booster.
- It has a steel alloy frame which is why it can easily accommodate babies weighing less than 120 lbs.
- Being a light car seat for air travel it can be folded during transportation.
- It offers 12 head support positions and additional side impact protection.
- The energy absorbing EPS foam and memory foam helps your baby stay comfortable and safe during difficult situations.
- The seat pads are covered with premium quality machine washable fabric.
- Although it is a light car seat for air travel, it still weighs more than the other lightest convertible car seats listed here. The weight is due to its steel frame, which is why it is extremely safe and durable too.
- Installation requires some time. You can read the manual and watch the videos to save time and effort.
A lot of parents wonder how to travel with convertible car seat when they have many other baby gears to carry too. This Diono Radian 3RXT offers the perfect solution to your travel problems. You can simply fold it for carrying, which can make things a lot easier for you. It is a very compact and the manufacturer claims that you can accommodate three of them in a mid-sized vehicle. If its price is within your budget, you must go with this light car seat for air travel.
This 2-in1 booster seat is one of the lightest convertible car seats that you can buy for your one year old and you can use it until he is ready for the transition. The forward-facing position can accommodate babies weighing 30 lbs to 65 lbs, whereas the booster seat can accommodate children weighing 40 lbs to 100 lbs. Being manufactured by Cosco, a leading children’s product brand, this lightest total car seat meets or exceeds all relevant federal, ASTM, and JPMA safety standards. The booster mode has received IIHS Best Bet rating. The dishwasher safe cup holder is removable and can be added to any of the two sides. The booster car seat pad is also machine and dryer safe. So, keeping this baby car seat light hygienic isn’t going to be a challenge for you. It is one of the most inexpensive and lightest baby car seats and yet it comes with a 1 year warranty.
- It is one of the lightest convertible car seats that can be used in forward-facing position and as a booster car seat.
- If you are wondering how long are convertible car seats good for, this one can be used until your child is 100 lbs in weight and, beyond that, your child may not require a car seat at all.
- If you have more than one baby and wondering which convertible car seat to buy, choose this one as it has a sleek design and three of them can fit in the back seat of almost all cars.
- It meets or exceeds federal, ASTM, and JPMA safety standards.
- It has received IIHS Best Bet rating for use in booster mode.
- It is easy to install and remove and, therefore, it is highly recommended for carpooling.
- The padding is not as good as what other car seats light are offering but, considering its price, the padding is still very decent.
- It cannot be reclined.
If you are wondering which convertible car seat to buy for your secondary vehicle, go with this one. It is inexpensive and you won’t mind the not-so-well padded seat, as you will not be using it regularly. It is perfect for carpooling and air travel as well since it is very lightweight and has washable seat pads.
Counted among the lightest baby car seats, this product can be used in two modes; forward-facing harness mode and belt-positioning booster mode. The forward-facing mode can accommodate children weighing 22 lbs to 50 lbs, whereas the booster mode can support babies weighing 40 lbs to 110 lbs. The five point harness system has four harness slot positions and two crotch buckle positions so you can adjust them as you want to make your child feel comfortable. The width of the seat is just 19 inches, which means it is not going to occupy too much space in your car and yet, it will keep your baby comfortable and safe. The head pillow is not adjustable but you can remove it when your child outgrows it. It has triple layer seat covers that are machine washable and dryable. Other than being one of the lightest convertible car seats, it is one of the most inexpensive ones too. Available in 7 bright colors.
- It is an FAA-approved light car seat for air travel.
- The booster seat has received Best Bet Rating from IIHS.
- Can be used as a forward-facing car seat as well as a booster seat for kids weighing 22 lbs to 110 lbs.
- It comes with a shoulder belt guide that helps you automatically position the car belt in proper position.
- If you are wondering how to travel with a toddler car seat, this seat is perfect for you as it has a 5 point safety harness, 4 different shoulder strap spots and 2 bottom buckle spot.
- The headrest height is fixed but can be removed if your baby is not comfortable or has outgrown it.
- The cupholders are very easy to remove and, if you have a restless baby, he will frequently drop them off.
Although it is a very inexpensive and light car seat for travel, it has adequate cushioning and has a 5 point safety harness and, therefore, it can be used as a regular car seat as well as a secondary car seat. Being FAA approved and one of the lightest convertible car seats, you can easily carry it for air travel and it won’t weigh you down. It is definitely the best light car seat in this price range and totally deserves to be on our list.
If you are wondering what is the lightest weight infant car seat, our answer is this Evenflo Tribute LX car seat. It can be used in rear-facing and forward-facing position. The rear-facing position can accommodate babies weighing 5 lbs to 40 lbs, whereas the forward-facing position can accommodate babies weighing 22 lbs to 40 lbs. Although being a very inexpensive light car seat for travel, this product meets or exceeds all applicable Federal safety standards. It has been tested for side impact and structural integrity too. The five point harness system with four shoulder strap positions help keep your child safe even during the worst conditions. The hardness and the buckles are easy to access and can be adjusted quickly without much hassle. Being one of the lightest toddler car seats, it has a very compact design and can easily fit into small vehicles or for multiseat use.
- It is a very inexpensive 2-in-1 baby car seat light suitable for babies weighing 5 lbs to 40 lbs and can be used in rear-facing and front-facing positions.
- People wondering what is the lightest weight infant car seat will be happy to know that it weighs just 12 pounds and can be used for carpooling, frequent vehicle transfers, and air travel.
- It meets and exceeds all relevant Federal safety standards.
- It has undergone Evenflo’s side impact test, which is twice as strong as the Federal crash test standard.
- The harness has easy to access adjustment positions.
- The car seat uses energy-absorbing foam liner to provide your baby cushioning as well as protection.
- The padding is less so you may have to add some cushioning.
- Installation requires some effort but you can refer the user manual and the videos for saving your efforts.
This light car seat for air travel is perfect for parents who travel a lot. Since it uses LATCH system, you can easily secure it in the airplane seats as well as in your car. You can use it in your regular car or keep it as a secondary option for travels. Although being an inexpensive light car seat for travel, it still meets the federal safety standards, which is why it deserves to be on our list of the lightest convertible car seats.
It has a 3-in-1 design and it can be used in rear-facing and front-facing position and as a car booster. The rear-facing position can accommodate up to 40 lbs of weight whereas the forward-facing position can accommodate 50 pounds and the belt-positioning booster has a weight bearing capacity of 80 pounds. It is equipped with a QuickFit harness adjustment system that lets you adjust the height of the harness and headrest with the help of a button and without any need of rethreading. It has harness holders that will hold the harness open so that you can easily put your child in and out of it. The manufacturer of this lightest toddler car seat claims that when used in rear-facing position it can provide you up to 7 inches more legroom. The seat covers are designed to come off easily so that you can simply toss them in your washing machine and dryer. It comes with a grow-with-baby pillow and removable cup holders.
- It is a 3-in-1 lightest toddler car seat that can be used in rear-facing, front-facing, and booster positions.
- Manufactured by one of the leading brands, this car seat light meets or exceeds federal, ASTM, and JPMA safety standards.
- It has a QuickFit harness system that lets you adjust the height of the headrest and harness easily even when your child is seated on it.
- There are harness holders that keep the harness straps open so that you can easily to get your child in and out of it.
- It offers three levels of recline.
- Although it is a light car seat for travel, it still offers side impact protection.
- Installation is time-consuming but the numerous YouTube videos can make your work much easier.
- The seat doesn’t recline much.
Well, this is actually one of the lightest convertible car seats that can last until your baby has transitioned to use the car belts. So, you don’t need to buy multiple car seats. The detachable cup holders, removable seat pads, and easy to adjust harness button are going to make your life much easier. Plus, it has a sleek design and can fit in even small cars.
How Long Are Convertible Car Seats Good For?
Most car seats have an expiration date of 6 to 10 years from the date of manufacture (not the date of purchase). They expire due to a number of reasons; the main one being the degradation of the material when exposed to heat, cold, sun, and humidity. Light car seat for travel are manufactured according to the government regulations which keep changing as and when required. So if the government changes/modifies any specific regulation, the model will get expired if it is unable to adhere to the change. Even the best light car seats get expired due to rust and unavailability of replacement parts. In some states it is illegal to use an expired car seat.
Still wondering how long are convertible car seats good for? Well, if you choose the latest product from the above list of lightest convertible car seats, your baby should be able to use it for at least 6 to 10 years. The 2-in-1 models with booster option listed above can be used until your child has graduated, so you won’t have to buy another one. Even if you have to buy another one, you can always forgo the fancy features and choose a reasonably priced lightest toddler car seat under $100. Since all car seats manufactured by renowned brands are tested for safety, a less expensive baby car seat light will not compromise with the safety of your child but it may slightly compromise his comfort.
Light Car Seat For Travel – Overview
Parents these days travel a lot. Whether it is for work or for a short break or an adventure trip, we plan family trips more often than what our parents used to do, which is why we need light car seat for travel. The lightest convertible car seats listed here can be easily carried through the airport terminals without costing you any additional charges. We have chosen the best light car seats that you can easily use for carpooling your baby to his play school. They are also perfect for putting up in taxis. Most of them are easy to install and take out, which is why these light car seats for travel are perfect for nannies, caregivers, and grandparents. Many of them can be used in front-facing position and as a car seat booster whereas some of them can be used in rear-facing and front-facing position and as a car seat booster too. They have a weight bearing capacity of up to 120 lbs. Since your baby is going to use them for at least 6 years, they come with adjustable 5 point safety harness and adjustable headrest too. Some of the best light infant car seats have buttons that let you adjust the headrest and harness position without removing your baby from it, whereas some others require rethreading. Some of them have steel backplate, whereas the less expensive light car seats for travel are made of molded plastic. No matter what features they have, this list includes lightest convertible car seats that you can conveniently use as a primary seat as well as a secondary one.
What Criteria We Used In Evaluation Of Lightest Convertible Car Seats?
Needless to mention the weight of the car seat light is the most important criteria that we used while making this list. This is because we wanted to provide you with a list of lightest convertible car seats that you can carry with you for carpooling, travels, etc. However, while selecting the products, we did consider some of the below-mentioned factors that are crucial for the safety and comfort of your child.
Ease of use
The lightest toddler car seat should also be the easiest ones to get installed. This is because you need a lightweight car seat for travel purpose. You will be moving it from vehicles to vehicles and even on flights, so you need something that can be secured safely within seconds or a few minutes but without any hassles. Most of the lightest toddler car seats listed here uses LATCH system, which is a user-friendly feature that lets the parents install the seat with just one hand by pressing a single button. Now, that’s exactly what you need when you are traveling alone and have a small baby to hold. When you choose any of them, you don’t have to bother how to travel with a toddler car seat. Other than LATCH system, all the above lightest convertible car seats come with a 5-point safety harness. The harness and headrest are adjustable and they can ‘grow’ with your baby. Adjusting harness often requires rethreading, which is time-consuming but the best light car seats listed here offer you an absolutely easy rethreading process. Some of the expensive ones have a button adjustment system that doesn’t require rethreading at all.
Ease of cleaning
This is a practical aspect. When you ask how long are convertible car seats good for, the typical answer is 6 to 10 years. You can’t let your baby use the seat without washing it for so long, especially when you can expect a lot of mess with them. This is the reason why we have selected only those light car seats for travel that have removable and washable seat pads so that you can just toss them in your washing machine whenever it gets dirty.
Side impact protection
In more than 25% crashes, your vehicle is going to be hit from the side rather than from the front and this is why side impact protection is crucial. It protects your child’s head and neck from side injuries. Such injuries are extremely fatal and their consequences can sometimes last for years. Most of the lightest convertible car seats that we have included in this list offer side impact protection although the National Highway Safety Administration is yet to make it a law.
Adherence to safety standards
Needless to say, our list includes only those light car seats for travel that are manufactured as per all relevant Federal laws. After all, no parent would compromise with the safety of their child just to save a few dollars or to avoid carrying a few more pounds of loads. This is the reason why we have listed products from renowned baby care brands. These brands have been manufacturing light car seats for travel for decades and each of their products is tested for quality and safety. So, you need not ask what is the lightest car seat or which convertible car seat to buy. You can simply pick any one from our list.
Here are some obvious questions that you may have in your mind regarding the lightest baby car seats:
The lightest baby car seats are the ones that weigh less than 25 pounds. Now, 25 pounds is still a significant amount of weight, especially if you need something for carpooling or for air travel. Therefore, in this list of best light car seats we have selected products that weigh between 11 lbs to 22 lbs. The weight depends on the material used to build the frame. The lighter ones are made of molded plastic whereas the heavier ones have steel backplate. The infant car seats can weigh even less than this but they are meant for short-term use, as they can’t be used by toddlers.
Convertible light car seat for travels are the ones that can be used for years. You can convert them to be used in rear-facing position and in front-facing position. The rear-facing position holds babies up to 22 lbs weight and front position can hold 40-50 lbs. Once your child has outgrown these two positions, you can convert it into booster seat that can hold your baby until he weighs 110-120 lbs. Traveling with convertible seats is easy and affordable. You need to choose the right position according to your baby’s weight and age and then, secure him safely using the 5 point harness system.
The above list of lightest convertible car seats includes both 3-in-1 and 2-in-1 options. The 3-in-1 lightest toddler car seats are the ones that can be used in all three ways, rear-facing, front-facing, and as a booster. The 2-in-1 seats can be used either as rear and front facing seats or as front facing seat and as a booster. The choice of which convertible car seat to buy should be totally yours but we recommend buying a separate infant seat for your baby and buying a 2-in-1 front seat and booster seat for your toddler.
In this blog, we have tried to include a wide range of products in a wide price range, so this list of lightest convertible car seats can be useful for almost every parent. Whether you need a secondary light car seat for travel for your next trip or need something sturdy for regular use in the grandparents’ car, this list has all the feasible options for you. We have handpicked these products after thoroughly evaluating hundreds of options. We hope this blog helps you choose the best light car seat for your child. For more such helpful information, keep reading our blog.