Can you remember when you were taught how to ride a bike? Remember how exciting and scary it was all at the same time? You wanted your parents to let go but you didn’t because you were afraid of falling over or wouldn’t be able to keep your balance. You may also remember your parents telling you how proud of you they were or how you are now a ‘big kid’ because you’ve mastered riding a two-wheeled bike all on your own! Well now here you are teaching your own children how to ride a bike and understand that learning how to ride a bike is an exciting and confidence building experience!
Balance bikes are a new innovation in bikes to help in the training of toddlers and kids on bike riding on two wheels instead of using training wheels or a tricycle. This bike is a pedal less bike that helps children learn steering and balancing. We’ve chosen these balance bikes based on the research we’ve done and on consumer ratings. The only balance bikes you’ll find in this review are those that meet or exceed the CPSC (U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission), and combine safety with ease of use.
So whether you are looking for a balance bike for toddlers or one for an older child, we’ve got you covered with some of the best balance bikes for 2019.
10 Best Balance Bikes At A Glance
Before we get into a more detailed look at the best balance bikes available to buy this year, here is a quick overview of the features and specifications of the top 10 bikes for your child we think you’ll want to look at.
View on Amazon
Amazing bike. Very straight forward to assemble. Light weight. My son loved his bike. That’s all I wanted
Cruzee bikes are known as not only one of the best balance bikes for toddlers and kids. It is a very popular model because it is lightweight and easy for the child to handle on their own. This is one parents will want to purchase for their child because it’s stylish, durable, easy to assemble and it comes in a variety of colors.
- This balance bike is advertised as the lightest one in the world
- Easy for toddlers and children to control, easy for someone to push and easily transported
- Seat and handlebars can be adjusted to grow with the rider
- Includes footrests that will allow the rider to rest their feet
- Puncture-free tires that don’t require maintenance
- Supports riders who weigh up to 75 pounds
- The foam tires don’t provide enough traction on unpaved surfaces
- Anodized aluminum body of the bike scratches easily
- Paint may fade when exposed to the elements or not cared for per provided instructions
The Cruzee balance bike is a great starter bike and kids love it. They are excited to start to learn to ride. It is light enough for toddlers and kids to carry around on their own
The Cruzee balance bike is definitely a worthwhile investment and is available in a rainbow of colours.
View on Amazon
Ideal for our one year old daughter and above all, it is sturdy and very easy to put together.
The Critical Cycle balance bike is another standout contender amongst balance bike for toddlers. It lives up to its name because of its excellent quality and features. Parents will know their child will be safe learning how to ride on this outstanding product.
- Hands down ideal balance bike for toddlers between the ages of 2-5 years old
- Includes adjustable handlebars and seat to provide comfort
- Stable and sturdy enough that it won’t tip over
- Air-free tires that will never go flat
- Assists in improving coordination and balance
- It’s a little heavier than the Cruzee product reviewed above, which makes it difficult for toddlers and kids to handle independently
- Thin tread on the foam tires has been reported in parent reviews
- Footrest platform is too wide and can catch and possibly cause injuries
This pedal less bike will build up children’s confidence and will teach them how to balance independently
Children who ride this balance bike will need to rely on their legs to help them turn and steer. This will also assist them in learning or further developing their walking skills
The Critical Cycle balance bike is a great option to introduce your child to riding a bike. Not only does this bike come with a lot of great safety features to protect your child while riding, it will make the transition to a “big kid” bike easier.
View on Amazon
Our daughter is three and half year old. This is her very first bike. She loves riding it. For this price it is amazing.
The Schwinn balance bike 12-inch is one of the easiest kids balance bikes to use. One of the features that makes this balance bike so great is the distance between the seat and handlebars, giving a lot of space for the toddler or kid to stand and maneuver around, which makes it an easy to ride.
- Easily adjustable seat and handlebars. Your toddler or kid can use this bike as they grow, which will save you money
- Easy to assemble
- Designed with long lasting materials that will withstand wear and tear
- Comes in a variety of different colors including pink, which makes this an ideal girl’s balance bike
- Designed to boost your toddler’s or kid’s confidence
- The footrest may get caught and may lead to injuries
- It is too big for toddlers to maneuver themselves
- The paint and body paint can rust if left to the elements
Many reviews have stated this is one of the best balance bikes. Parents will be getting great value for their money when they purchase this bike for their child or children. If you’re looking for an affordable 1st bike for your child or children, this is your best choice!
The Schwinn balance bike is a great for toddlers and children. Its features make it feel like a true bike for ages 2, 3 and 4 years old. It is well built and easy to assemble.
View on Amazon
Our two year old son was able to ride it easily. The size is excellent for him. I like that it has an additional bar to raise the seat as he will grow. I did some research before buying and this was a nice choice.
The Strider bike is one of the best balance bikes for 2, 3 and 4 year old and up to 60 lbs. It’s super easy for toddlers and kids to handle on their own.
- Lightweight frame that allows toddlers and kids to carry their own bike
- Seat and handlebars can be easily adjusted
- Built-in footrests and a padded seat provides your toddler or kid with the necessary comfort
- A well made bike that will grow with your child
- Bike frame is reported as not as strong as expected to support taller than average kids
- The foam tires on this balance bike are reported to not have sufficient tread so they don’t provide enough traction for all possible terrain that may be encountered
The Strider balance bike is another one of the best balance bike for 2 and 3 year olds. It is too small for children older than 4 years of age
Watch the product video on the Strider balance bike to compare your child to the children in the video and the recommended height range suggested
This is another bike without pedals that your child can easily grow into. Its has features that will meet the average child’s bike riding needs who are under the age of 4 years.
View on Amazon
To help your little one learn how to ride this is perfect. The platform can also be used for gliding.
The KaZAM v2e is another stylish but functional balance bike. This is another great bike to purchase for your child because of its unique features that allow your child to confidently and independently ride around.
- Easy to assemble
- Seat and handlebars can be adjusted to comfortably fit your child
- Footrests assist in teaching them how to balance themselves
- Air-free tires that are easily maintained
- A little bit heavier than other balance bikes
- Seat slopes downward making it slightly more difficult for toddlers to balance safely
- Recommended this for children 3-4 years old, and may be a bit heavy for younger children
This is a great no pedal balance bike and rated as one of the best. It’s very easy to assemble and many of the pieces are already to go
The tires are sturdy and the handlebars can be adjusted to fit your child. The seat is also really easy to adjust
If you’re looking for a good quality kids bike without pedals this is a great choice. Your child will enjoy riding around on this bike. This balance bike won’t break the bank so you can’t go wrong!
View on Amazon
Our son loves this bike, and I can pass it along to my daughter when he grows out of it. Really like that it is not gender based.
The Chicco Red Bullet Balance Training Bike is another popular balance bike. It is affordable compared to other models and is durable. This bike is different from other kids bikes without pedals. The Chicco Red Bullet is lightweight and easy for kids to maneuver and is made of metal. It is sturdy and is able to hold children who weigh up to 55 pounds.
- Manufactured out of a sturdy and lightweight metal frame
- This kids balance bike model comes with puncture-free tires providing a smooth ride for children
- This balance bike includes rubberized handlebars that provide children with more comfort
- Seat and handlebars can be adjusted to child’s height to be more comfortable and easier to ride
- Several parent reviews have stated that the tread on this balance bike’s tires doesn’t last long and is uncomfortable on bumpy terrain
- Compared to other balance bike’s, this model is smaller in size, which means children may grow out of it quicker
- The paint job is not scratch resistant
The Chicco Red Bullet bike is a great first kids balance bike. Children will quickly learn how to balance themselves on this bike and be ready to learn to ride a regular bike
The seat is easy to adjust to the required height. The tires are made out of hard plastic and do not need air
The Chicco Red Bullet balance bike is a great option to teach your child to ride a bike. It is another one of the popular, good value for money balance bikes for 3 – 4 year old kids. Your toddler will look and feel like they’re riding a real bike.
View on Amazon
My little one learned within a week how to ride without using training wheels. Great product!
The GO Glider kids balance bike is an ideal bike for kids between the ages of 5-10 year old. This is also equipped with foot pegs, hand brakes and a kickstand. The GO Glider kids balance bike is a variety of different colours for your son or daughter to choose from!
- A great option for kids who are learning how to ride a bike when they’re older. Seat is well padded, providing extra comfort and can be adjusted
- Handlebars are made out of steel and wrapped in easy to grip rubber, providing traction. Handlebars can be adjusted up to 35 inches
- Footrests provide flexibility, kids can remove them or keep them attached for proper positioning when peddling
- Difficulties fitting handlebars to desired height
- It is expensive
The Go Glider is great for older kids who struggle with coordination and balance difficulties. Kids will appreciate having a specific bike that will teach them how to ride in their own time. This kids balance bike may be worth the investment despite being on the expensive side. It is easy to assemble and isn’t hard to lift or maneuver.
This kids balance bike is great for those kids who learn to ride a bike at an older age. Your kid will be riding a bike in no time when using the Go Glider kids balance bike.
View on Amazon
I am very happy with this bike! Got it for our two year old son and he’s already gliding around nicely. We have no doubt he’ll be riding a bike in no time, without any training wheels!
The Lightweight Banana Bike LT is a great balance bike for 2, 3, and 4 year olds. It will allow your children to learn and develop their biking skills in a fun way. Whether you have a son or daughter, they will love this balance bike, especially the colors that are available to choose from.
- New and improved balance bike for toddlers and kids between the ages of 2-4 years old. Tires are foam and don’t need to be inflated and maintenance free
- Handlebars and seat can be adjusted to required height
- Easy to assemble
- New improved design
- Difficult to teach your child the importance of braking and stopping
- No footrests or brakes
- Not recommended for toddlers 3 years and up
This is a great balance bike for toddlers. It is easy for parents to assemble. This balance bike is easy enough for toddlers to move around
Toddlers will be able to grow into the bike once it is adjusted to the seat and handlebar height that is required
The Banana balance bike is a worthwhile investment, it’s not as fancy or have as many features as other toddler balance bikes but it will be a great start to teach your toddler how to ride a bike!
View on Amazon
Amazing way to get your children on 2 wheels at an early age. Bought it for our daughter on her fourth birthday, was ready for a pedal bike in six weeks. Perfect.
If you have a very active child, The Radio Flyer Glide N Go is the best balance bike for them. This model comes with air tires instead of foam or plastic tires, giving your child a smooth ride. It also has been designed to let your child grow into it. This balance bike is a little pricier compared to others. Some of the components are not very durable.
- The seat height on this kids balance bike can be adjusted as children grow
- Lightweight frame makes it easier for children to maneuver or push it independently
- Tires have a solid tread that hugs the road to provide better traction on different types of terrain
- This balance bike has a scratch resistant frame that is protected from rust and other elements
- The handlebars do not come with padding
- This balance bike isn’t ideal for children under 3 years old because the frame of the bike curves upwards. This makes it difficult for children to safely maneuver the bike while standing
- Handlebars may come loose and disconnect from the front wheel making it difficult for children to safely steer
This balance bike is a great investment to teach your child the first steps of riding a bike. With the Radio Flyer, you can skip the training wheels; this balance bike without pedals for toddlers will do the trick.
This balance bike for toddlers will teach them the skills they require to ride a bike.
View on Amazon
My daughter easily learned to ride this bike after gliding without any training wheels for one week.
The Vilano Children’s no pedal balance bike will have your child riding a bike in no time. It is budget friendly and a great teaching tool. Your child won’t have a problem maintain this bike. It is also an ideal girls balance bike.
- It has adjustable an adjustable seat and handlebars with foam padding
- Frame of the bike has been constructed out of steel, making it strong and sturdy
- Includes foam tires that are puncture free, eliminating the need for repairs
- Lightweight design makes this balance bike easier and safer for children to carry on their own
- Foam tires on the bike are not very tough and don’t have very good traction.
- The bolts that keep the tires attached to the frame can cause injuries
- The paint can easily be scratched
This kids balance bike does the job until your child can learn how to balance and can graduate to a bigger bike with pedals. You will have no problem with assembly
Though this kids balance bike isn’t as popular as some of the other models, it will provide a fun experience for your child. This bike will make the process of learning how to ride a bike fun and easy. It allows your child to focus on learning how to keep their balance without assistance. This balance bike will allow them to transition to a big kid bike faster and easier.
The Bottom Line
This comprehensive review definitely highlights ten of the best balance bikes available and no doubt includes one that could be just the right balance bike for you to consider for your child. The ten selected manufactures and models are close competitors or our top three choices out of the line up of bikes selected! To recap, key features of a good balance bike have focused on best age range for models, important bike features such as compliance with identified safety requirements, durability, adjustability with age, ease of assembly and minimal maintenance just to name a few! Whether you’re looking for the top of the line or one that fits into a budget, you will find the perfect balance bike for a toddler or kid in this Balance Bike Review for 2018.
Now getting to our top three picks; we chose the Cruzee Ultralite for its lightweight, versatility to grow with age and availability of popular colors. The next pick is the KaZam v2e balance bike because of its sturdiness and slightly heavier weight giving the learning rider additional confidence and balancing ability. Our final pick is the lightweight Banana bike. This bike has a cool shape, easy to handle and grows with the child. Also it has an awesome fun name!
Now parents, you have a good list of possibilities for balance bikes to consider. Now it is up to you to identify the specific model that will meet your child’s needs and colour preference. Enjoy shopping for your child’s first bike!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What age is best for a balance bike?
Kids can start riding the balance bikes at the age of 18 months to two years. Generally, most children enjoy using balance bikes up to the age of five years. However, some kids can start using pedaled bikes at the age of four.
Do balance bikes really work?
Balance bikes help a lot when it comes to training toddlers and kids how to ride on two wheels. These pedal-less bikes help the kids learn how to steer and balance bikes to prepare them for riding pedaled bikes. Besides, they are more comfortable and exciting than bikes with training wheels.
Are balance bikes better than Stabilisers?
Yes. Balance bikes help children develop balancing and steering skills faster than their Stabilisers counterparts. Besides, balance bikes are lighter than the Stabilisers, making it easier for parents to carry them around. Children who rely on Stabilisers takes longer to develop balance.
Can you put Stabilisers on a balance bike?
You can add Stabilisers on the balance bike to improve support. But it should be the last thing to do, mainly if the child has not managed to develop balance on two wheels. You can also put the Stabilisers when your kid is too old to use a balance bike.
Do you need a helmet for a balance bike?
As kids learn to ride using a balance bike, they need helmets for safety as they are prone to falling when riding. As a parent, you should always ensure that your kid wears a helmet before riding a balance bike so that they don’t get hurt when they fall.
How do you measure a kids balance bike?
When riding a balance bike, the kid’s feet should touch the ground flat, allowing a slight bend on the knees. To get the right bike size, let your kid stand barefooted against a wall and place a hardcover book in between their legs. Let the kid step away and measure the distance from the floor to the top of the book in centimeters.
Copyright © 2019 Net Parents. All Right Reserved.