10 Best Toy Train Sets Reviews
10 Best Toy Train Sets Reviews
All aboard! For generations kids have been fascinated and enjoyed playing for hours with toy trains making them hard to beat.
Today, there are more choices, features and options available for toy trains and train sets than ever before. Some of the choices available include wooden train, electric train, or metal train sets and then there are all the special themed ones! Toy train sets allow children, young and old, to enter the world of pretend play, which presents them with endless possibilities to use their imaginations. They can also develop their creativity, problem solving, speech and motor skills.
To assist you in choosing the best toy train set for your child, we have compiled a list of what we think are great contenders for you to choose from. We know you only want to buy your child the best and safest toy train set available. The only toy trains and train sets you will find in this review meet or exceed the CPSIA and ASTM standards for safe use of toy train sets.
So whether you are looking for a wooden train set, electric toy train set, or Thomas and Friends Train Track set, we’ve researched and highlighted some of the best toy trains and train sets! We hope you find this review helpful when you and your child go to the toy store and pick out a toy train set!
10 Best Toy Train Sets At A Glance
Before we get into the more detailed look at the best toy train sets, here is a quick overview of the features of the 10 best toy trains and train sets we think you’ll want to check out.
- Only train set that can create two figure 8’s at the same time
- Comes with a reusable storage box
- Compatible with Thomas and other wooden train set brands
- Trains move easily along the track
- Track pieces may not fit tightly together
- Some reviews have stated pieces were missing from the box, contact manufacturer
This is a great wooden train set for children. They will be able to assemble the track independently and create all the layouts that are indicated in the directions. The tracks are made of durable wood and will stand up to anything.
The Tiny Conductors toy train set is a great as an individual set or addition to others. Children can create many different track combinations!
- Set includes a freight train with cargo, a passenger train and a flatbed truck
- 4 different configurations can be created
- Includes easy to follow instructions
- Made from durable wooden materials
- Magnets that connect the trains aren’t strong enough to keep the train cars together
- Track pieces do not fit together and stay snuggly together
- Some customer reviews stated pieces were missing from the box
This wooden train set includes everything children need to fall in love with trains! They also have the option to mix and match the pieces of this Melissa & Doug wooden train set with other brands.
It is a great toy for toddlers. The size of the train track is great. It also creates an opportunity for parents to bond with their child or children!
- Encourages and develops children’s cognitive and social skills
- Compatible with Thomas & Friend Train Set and Brio Train Sets
- Easy to assemble
- Check to make sure all pieces are provided with the set
- Bridge isn’t tall enough to fit a train through
- Pieces fall apart easily
This is a great kids train set. It includes several pieces for kids to play with and make different combinations.
The pieces included in this wooden train set are sturdy. Children will enjoy playing with this set.
- Made from renewable wood resources
- Great starter set for children
- Can be expanded into a larger set
- A variety of colorful components to spark creativity and imaginative play
- Track pieces may not fit together perfectly
- May not be enough pieces included to connect track together
- Wood may begin to split and need to be glued back together
Customer reviews have stated that this set isn’t exactly the best wooden train set available. The pieces don’t stay tightly together, especially the bridge pieces. There are only a limited number of straight train track pieces, making it difficult to match the picture on the box. Customers will need to purchase extra tracks.
This is a fine starter toy train set but isn’t the best one available. It is a good idea for parents to do some research on the best train sets available for purchase before settling on this option.
- Great starter set or addition to existing train set
- Encourages children to use their imaginations and problem solving skills
- Great beginner train set for toddlers 3 years and up
- Customer reviews have stated pieces were missing from the set
- Train track pieces may splinter, break apart or may not fit together
- This product contains small pieces and may cause a choking hazard. It also contains magnets that can harm a person if magnets are swallowed or inhaled
This train set is engaging and fun to play with. It is a great starter set and easy for children to set up independently. They are able to create different routes for their trains to follow.
Compared to Orbrium’s larger wooden train set, this one will also provide hours of entertainment. This set includes many detailed pieces and accessories that can be added to other toy train sets or can be used on it’s own for an affordable amount.
- Compatible with other wooden train sets
- Provides hours of entertainment
- Develops children’s motor skills
- Choking hazard for children under 3 years old
- Set doesn’t include clear instructions
- Train track pieces do not fit tightly together
This is a great option for a first train set for toddlers. The price is reasonable. The only improvement that customer reports state is the train track pieces could be improved, they don’t attach together securely.
Children will enjoy playing with this toy train set. Allows for children to use their imaginations and create different track configurations.
- Compatible with Thomas train set and Brio train sets
- Meets government standards for lead and phthalates
- Encourages role playing and problem solving
- Easy to assemble
- May require parents to drill holes in the set because original ones aren’t placed in the right spot
- Train table may be damaged when unpacking pieces and during assembly
- Train tracks don’t fit tightly together, making it difficult for trains to ride smoothly along the track
This is an affordable train table. It isn’t the best one available to purchase but for families on a budget, this is a cost effective option. There is enough storage space for storage bins for keeping all train set pieces.
For families on a budget, this train table is a great bargain. It’s easy to assemble and will provide hours of entertainment.
- Allows children build their own custom railway
- Rail way can be expanded to create a larger race track
- Encourages and further develops children’s cognition
- Provides visual and tactile stimulation with the assistance of trains
- Inspired by the Thomas and Friends DVD
- Train track connection isn’t smooth, results in the trains stopping and needing to be pushed to continue racing
- Batteries aren’t included and need to be replaced frequently
- Track is difficult for children to assemble, parental assistance may be required
This Thomas Train Set is a different way for children to enjoy playing with trains. Children can also enjoy this set and play it with family and friends.
This is a fun train set for children. It is affordable and easy for children to use. It’s one of many motorized train sets available for purchase.
- Can be connected to other TrackMaster expansion packs and train sets
- Package includes track layout and motorized Thomas
- Track can be set up to create two different layouts
- Tunnel can be transformed into a bridge
- Great first train set for children
- Pieces may be missing from package. Contact manufacturer for replacement
- Batteries need to be changed frequently
This Thomas and Friends Train Set will for sure entertain children. It is well made. The train rides over the track smoothly and includes a feature that stops the train.
This set is a great edition for children who already have other Thomas and Friends Train Sets. Also a great first train set for children.
- Develops toddlers creativity by encouraging them to build their own train track
- Educational toy train set
- Great learning tool for toddlers ages 1-5
- Includes 13 colorful train track pieces
- Teaches toddlers words and sound effects
- Train doesn’t move smoothly along the tracks and gets stuck on the corners
- The set needs to include more train tracks
- Requires AAA batteries that need to be changed frequently
This is a great starter train set for toddlers. There are three different settings that play different sounds and encourage toddlers to use different motor skills. This set is also compatible with other VTech toy train sets.
The VTech Go! Go! Smart Wheels train set is colorful and easy for toddlers to use independently. As children become older, parents can purchase expansions packs to make the set larger and more challenging!
The Bottom Line
Toy trains and toy train sets are not only fun for children to play with but they are helpful in teaching children valuable lifelong skills. Children will learn problem solving, creativity, pretend play, and sequencing skills. Developing these skills through toy trains will assist children learn about words, sentence structure and pretend play can expand their vocabulary whether they play on their own or with others. There are so many toy train sets available for you to purchase, and we hope this review will assist you in finding the best one to meet your child or children’s needs.
We have presented our top 10 toy train sets for you to review and consider. The following toy train sets have been selected as our top awesome picks!
Our number one is the Tiny Conductors wooden train set. Children are able to use their imaginations and create 14 different train track options. This set can be used to expand on to other wooden sets. The set also includes a train car and comes with a reusable storage box to neatly store all the pieces when children are done playing! The number two position goes to Orbrium’s Toy Train set. This set is versatile and can be extended to make a larger train track. The set includes a train engine, coaches, buildings, city vehicles etc. Another great feature of this set is that it is compatible with the Thomas wooden train set and the Brio Train set. Our last choice goes to the Thomas and Friends Track Set. Thomas has been around for years and is still extremely popular today. Children have the option of creating two different layouts with this set. It is another great set because it can be added onto other Thomas and Friends Track Sets!
Now that you have read our top 10 toy train sets review and our three suggestions, we trust you and your child or children will have fun and won’t be overwhelmed when you pick out a train set that will fit your child or children’s needs and maybe a few wants!
The G scale train set is a model train whose railway line has a spacing of 45 millimeters between the tracks (railheads). Unlike other train sets, the G scale train set is mostly used outdoors due to its durability and size. Its track gauge has fixed dimensions of 45mm.
The N scale train set is a model train set whose gauge has a spacing of 9 millimeters between the tracks. The model has a scale ratio of 1:160 against the actual railway gauge. With the N scale model, hobbyists can build rails that take less space than other models.
The HO scale train set is a model with a scale ratio of 1:87. As the most popular model scale in the world, it has a large and varied selection of realistic models in different countries in the Globe. The model's rail system has a spacing of 16.5 millimeters.
The Z gauge has a scale ratio of 1:220. Notably, it has the smallest commercial scale in the world, with a spacing of 6.5mm in between the rails. The Z scale allows broader and longer trains than other large scales. It's also useful in building compact train layouts.
The best model scale train is that which best suits your interests. Large scale train sets provide more details on an actual train while the small scale train sets are suitable for an obstacle course with tunnels and mountains. A G-scale train set needs more space than a Z scale train set.
Conductor Carl Train Set is the largest toy train scale set. It consists of a Train Table and a Play Board Set. It's a great toy train for toddlers as it offers exciting adventures. It has several accessories, including an engine car, nine vehicles, a 43-piece train track, trees, houses, and ten people and signs.