19 Best Kids Bikes Reviews of 2020
19 Best Kids Bikes Reviews of 2020
There are several moments during childhood that stick with you for the rest of your life. One of the most exuberant and exhilarating of those moments is the first time you learn to ride a bike.
You get your mom or dad to promise to hold onto the back of your cool, new kids bike for you, and you pedal along gingerly the first few times. Then suddenly you figure it out! You look back, wondering how your parent has managed to keep up with this incredible new pace you’ve developed, only to see that they have let go of your toddler bike. You see them running along behind you, smiling and thrilled. They’ve had faith in you all along that you could master the two wheeled bike, and now you have that same faith in yourself. Now, you can do anything.
This is why choosing the right bicycle for kids is so important. Now, we at Net Parents know all too well that the average parent of the 21st century is far too busy taking care of the household to spend oodles of time researching this and that, so that’s why we’ve already done all the work for you! We’ve meticulously crafted this review of the very best toddler bikes 2020 has to offer, so that you can spend more time with your family. Furthermore, all of the bikes for kids in this review meet the safety standards of the CPSC and the ISO.
Best Kids Bikes at a Glance
Doesn’t it seem like there’s a bit too much information out there, especially where variety of products is concerned? Well we certainly do. That’s why we’ve built this incredibly convenient table for you! We’ve made it easy to browse all the features you care about, so that your buying decision is made an easy one.
20" Micargi Girls Dragon 2.0
- Very solid build quality
- Comes in at a relatively affordable price
- Coaster brakes may be trickier for a child to learn than hand brakes
- Limited color options
- One could argue the bicycle is excessively girly, which may not suit your daughter’s personality
Take time to get your daughter used to coaster brakes before letting her use this bicycle, especially at higher speeds.
The 20″ Micargi Girls Dragon 2.0 is a great option if you’re looking for a sporty BMX bike for your daughter.
16" Micargi Boy's Jakster BMX
- Includes many useful accessories, including a front carrier
- Built well enough to inspire confidence
- The black paint coating on many metal parts (including the handlebars) does not seem especially scratch-resistant
- The bicycle is a bit pricier than others in its class, even after a discount
Keep the full-coverage chain guard in place. It will prevent your child’s pants from getting caught up in the chain as it rotates.
The 16″ Micargi Jakster is the perfect bicycle for a boy between the ages of four and six. With training wheels included, your son will be able to ride safely.
20" Micargi MBX 5.0
- Classic styling means your child will enjoy this bicycle for years as opposed to outgrowing it quickly
- As with most Micargi bikes, this product is built remarkably well
- The Micargi MBX 5.0 is pricey for a bicycle aimed at kids between the ages of five and eight
- While Micargi’s warranty is fairly competitive, it doesn’t apply if the bicycle is used in competitions or activities the company deems “racing”
This is a serious bicycle! If your child currently rides at a lower level, you might want to consider a cheaper bicycle for their first.
The Micargi MBX 5.0 delivers the quality you’d expect from this brand. It’s a great option if your child is ready for their first big boy/girl bicycle and you don’t mind spending a bit of extra money.
20" Micargi Kid's Music
- Features a very unique and quirky design
- Comes in several colors, including green, red, and blue
- Kids’ tastes are constantly changing; given how uniquely-styled this bicycle is, you’ll want to be sure your child isn’t going to fall out of love with it
- The shiny chrome handlebars on this bicycle are destined to scratch easily
This is by no means a sporty bicycle. If your child intends to ride aggressively, you’ll want to consider one of the other options on this list.
The 20″ Micargi Kid’s Music is a great cruising bicycle with quirky stylings. Its affordable price makes it a no-brainer if that’s what you’re looking for.
Micargi Li'l Skeeter BMX
- Incredibly sturdy, no-frills construction
- Comes with a one-year frame failure warranty
- As with any balance bike, this is not something your child will be riding for the long haul; once they’ve gotten used to the mechanics, they’ll be ready to jump up to a traditional bicycle
- The tires are not meant for particularly rough terrain
While you might be tempted to get your kid an old-fashioned bicycle with training wheels, a balance bike makes a great first purchase. It keeps your child safe by being low enough to the ground that they’ll never tip over while also getting them used to the mechanics of riding a bicycle without training wheels.
The Micargi Li’l Skeeter BMX is one of many great first bicycles on this list. If you like the styling and want your kid to have a balance bike, you can’t go wrong!
12" Micargi Boys MBR12Y
- Comes in a variety of colors, making it easy to choose exactly the right bike for your child
- Although marketed as being for boys, the bicycle does come in variants suitable for girls as well
- Wheels and tires are not of the best quality
- Although the frame is rigid, additional components like the seat and handles reflect this bike’s cheaper price
The Micargi Boys MBR12Y is a great first real bicycle. Your child may outgrow it sooner rather than later, though, so keep that in mind.
A sturdy frame and affordable price make this bicycle well worth considering as your child’s first real bicycle (as opposed to a push bike).
DK Nano 12 Balance Bike
- Rigid construction, including HiTen
- Teaches your child the fundamentals of balance for when they transition to a pedal bike
- Requires professional assembly
- Handles don’t offer the best grip
Don’t take the professional assembly requirement lightly. A technician will be able to assemble the bike in a way that keeps your child safe.
A comfortable seat and solid build quality make this bike well worth considering for your child. In terms of quality, you’ll find that it’s definitely leaps and bounds above your average retail bicycle.
Subrosa Altus Balance Push Bike
- This kids bike’s construction is very solid, with ribbed grips and a HiTen frame that inspire confidence
- Lightweight, coming in at just under 10 pounds
- An older child may quickly outgrow this bicycle and want something with pedals
- The seat can be a bit awkward and uncomfortable
Make sure you only buy this bicycle if you think your child will be using a pushbike for a while. Otherwise, they’ll outgrow it quickly.
This is a great first bike if your kid isn’t ready to take their feet off the ground just yet.
Framed Impact 18 BMX Bike
- Solid frame capable of withstanding the inevitable bumps and knocks as your child learns to ride in the BMX style
- Grips are strong to ensure your child’s safety
- Bike is highly customizable
- Much higher quality than department store bicycles
- The bike arrives in parts; you’ll need to have a technician assemble it to avoid injury to your child
Hire a technician to assemble the bicycle or at least look over it once you’ve given it your best shot. This will ensure your child’s safety as they put this bicycle to the test.
Whether you have a son or a daughter, this bicycle is a great introduction to the world of BMX.
RoyalBaby BMX Freestyle Kids Bike
- As one of the best boys BMX bikes this particular model has a very sturdy steel frame, so it can stand up to even the toughest punishment
- Wheel height is available to be ordered as a 12 inch bike, 14 inch bike, 16 inch bike, or even an 18 inch bike, so no matter what age your toddler is, RoyalBaby has got you covered
- The training wheels on this children’s bike are easily removable for the day your child learns to ride without them
- The seat on this toddler bicycle is easily adjusted, and requires no tools to operate
- Wheel height is only available up to 18 inches, so this particular model isn’t available as a 20 inch bike
- These kids bikes are somewhat on the heavy side, and might be difficult for kids to lift
These bikes for kids are not only available in a wide range of sizes, but also in 6 different colors, which of course makes them ideal as a boys bike, or even as a toddler girls bike
Basically this kids bike covers all the bases, and more! Whether you need a girl’s 18 inch bike, a boys 16 inch bike, a boys 18 inch bike, or even a girls 14 inch bike, this bicycle has the right option for you. We definitely recommend picking one up today!
Diamondback Bicycles Mini Viper BMX Kids Bike
- This 16” kids bike is the best bike for a 4 year old because of their ideal height and sturdy construction
- All of the amazing bikes for kids that Diamondback makes are hand built, for that added quality and care of craftsmanship
- These boy bicycles arrive mostly assembled and with the brakes already dialed-in, just pump up the tires and go
- Even as a great bike for a 3 year old, the seat is easily adjustable and requires not a single tool
- Fairly heavy, weighing in at around 28 lbs, this toddler boy bike might be a struggle for your little one to lift
- This particular model isn’t available in pink, so it may not be the ideal choice for a little girl’s bike
While this particular kids bike doesn’t come with a kickstand, it is both easy and possible to order one separately
This is truly the ideal boys’ bike, and definitely a great bike for a 4 year old. The reason we love this one so much is that each one is constructed with care, and by hand, and is therefore remarkably durable. This amazing toddler bike will be with your family for years to come.
Woom Bike 3 Pedal 16 Inch Bike
- With a fully adjustable seat and ingenious design, this is an absolutely fantastic bike for a 5 year old
- This truly amazing 16 inch kids bike is constructed entirely of aluminum, allowing to retain firm rigidity while boasting very low weight
- A great bike for 6 year olds as well, it features an anatomically designed seat meant specifically for kids 4-6 years old
- The bell and kickstand all come pre-installed so that parents don’t have to go through the hassle of putting everything together
- This toddler bike is in a higher price range, yet more than makes up for it with its ergonomic construction and quality materials
- Kids with a heavier foot may cause the pedals to scrape against the kickstand while cycling, but you can adjust to kickstand with a wrench to fix this problem
While this particular model is of the 4-6 year age range, Woom Bikes offers a full range of their bicycles for ages starting at 18 months, all the up to 10 years old
In short, this is a kids’ bike you simply can’t go wrong with purchasing. The wide range of styles and sizes Woom offers means they’re great bicycles for 2 year olds all the way up to age 10. Basically, no matter how old your kids are, there’s always room for Woom.
Huffy Good Vibrations Cruiser 20” Girls Bike
- Definitely one of the best bikes for a 5 year old and up, this Huffy kids bike is backed by one of the oldest bicycle brands in the world
- Its vibrant colors and fun designs will be a sure-fire favorite with your little girl, and the envy of the neighborhood soon thereafter
- Large size dual-density pedals of this toddler bike increase comfort and make pedaling as easy as possible
- Padded seat is ergonomically designed, and guaranteed to last a lifetime
- Requires full assembly before use, however full instructions are provided and assembly is relatively simple
- This children’s bike is meant as a somewhat advanced model, and as such does not come with training wheels
Just like the padded seat, the frame itself is guaranteed to last a lifetime thanks to its strong, steel construction and high quality of craftsmanship
This is a fantastic little girl’s bike, to be sure. Huffy has a long and impressive track record, and as such has delivered once again with an amazing kids’ bike. Order one today, and you’ll be more than glad you did!
Huffy Pro Thunder Boys 20 Inch Bike
- Has a translucent chain guard for this boys’ version, so that your special little guy can see the inner workings of his favorite first vehicle
- Made with an incredibly durable steel frame, for the ultimate in quality and safety
- This toddler bike boasts rear coaster brakes, so that little Mr. Adventurous doesn’t ever flip over the handle bars by accident
- The neon yellow rims are super cool and super fun, the exciting looks of this two-wheeled marvel is bound to have your little tyke jumping for joy
- This kids bike is a little bit on the heavy side at 27 lbs, but for kids ages 7-10 it’s not too difficult to lift
- Like the previous Huffy bike, this kids bike will require full assembly, but also comes with a full set of instructions
Just like the previous girls bike this boy’s bicycle doesn’t skimp on the padded seat, which has a lifetime guarantee, just like the steel frame itself
Simply put, Huffy makes some of the best bikes for kids that you’re ever likely to find. A strong brand history and dedication to excellence makes every Huffy kids bike a clear choice, both on the parent’s side, as well as the child’s. Order your Huffy today, and the smile on your child’s face alone will be absolutely worth it.
RoyalBaby CubeTube Kids Bike
- This bike for kids improves upon the classic design with a new square tube design that increases balance, sturdiness, and handling
- A revolutionary jr bike, this kids bike features a separate brake lever, meaning the brake and the lever are not one piece, which allows for a smaller, easier to use handle brake
- The front and rear tires are extra wide to assist with balance, and the training wheels are heavy duty for added support
- Not only is the seat of this children’s bike is fully adjustable, but it’s a brand new design made entirely out of a single foam piece which has been ergonomically designed for the human body
- Kickstand attachment is available, but sold separately
- Wheel sizes only go up to an 18 inch bike, so if you’re looking for a bike for a 7-10 year old, it will likely have to be a different model
RoyalBaby kids bike comes with the option to have the bike pre-assembled by one of their in-house experts, for an additional fee
Essentially, this toddler bicycle is definitely the perfect option for kids who really want to learn to ride on two wheels, but maybe are a little wary of speed, and have a few issues with their balance. The bottom line is it’s a great buy for a great price, and we highly recommend you pick one up today!
RoyalBaby SpaceShuttle Lightweight Kids Bike
- The frame is made entirely out of treated magnesium, which means it’s not only light enough for any kid to move around with ease, but it loses none of its tensile strength when stacked up against steel or aluminum
- Its light weight also means it’s more difficult to fall over and have accidents with this kids bike
- Available as a 14 inch bike, 16 inch bike, or an 18 inch bike, which means it’s ideal for kids ages 4-10
- Above average tire width is specifically designed for kids who are learning to ride on two wheels, so that the journey is as easy as possible for them
- This toddler bicycle requires assembly before use, but comes with a full set of instructions
- Rather than dual disc brakes, it instead incorporates a rear disc brake with a front wheel coaster brake
A perfect bike for kids of any persuasion, this SpaceShuttle toddler bike comes in three different space themed colours of white, black, and purple
If your little one is of the intrepid sort, and wishes to boldly go where no one has gone before, then we highly recommend getting this two-wheeled interstellar vehicle for your miniature space explorer today.
Guardian Lightweight Kids Bike
- This revolutionary bike for kids is the very same product you might have seen on Shark Tank that received a $500,000 investment from Mark Cuban
- Developed with total safety in mind by the company’s founder, who wanted to completely eliminate head-over-handlebar accidents, one of which severely injured his grandfather
- This toddler bike is engineered with a lightweight, low centre of gravity design to prevent tipping over and improve handling across the board
- All of the fun patterns that are available were selected by kids in schools all over North America
- Available in 20” and 24” wheel heights, this is simply the best bike for kids that money can buy
- Requires some assembly out of the box, but it comes with full instructions and can be completed in under 10 minutes
- Occupies the highest price point out of any other kids bike we have on our list, but it’s also the best kids road bike out there
This bike for kids is actually lighter by a full pound when compared to the SpaceShuttle magnesium-frame bike above, truly a marvel of design and engineering
Simply put, this is the best kids bike anywhere in the world. Not only in design, materials, and engineering. But also in its rigorous 34-point test inspection each bike receives. A perfect blend of form, function, and safety, this bike truly has it all. Don’t hesitate any longer, get yours today!
RoyalBaby StarGirl Little Girl Bike
- This toddler girl bike comes with a cute basket as well as fun handle bar streamers, a guaranteed win for any little girl
- The heavy duty training wheels will last a very long time, so your little girl can try riding on two wheels whenever she happens to be ready, and not a moment sooner
- Sturdy steel frame is incredibly strong while still remaining relatively lightweight
- The kids bike arrives 95% already put together, just attach the training wheels, handle bars, pedals, and saddle, and you’re good to go
- There is no available kickstand attachment for when the training wheels come off
- It comes with average size tires with normal amounts of tread, so not exactly ideal for riding anywhere but the sidewalk
If your little girl is a bit of a tomboy then never fear, this great bike for kids is also available with a blue frame
With such an easy assembly and impressive track record, this is definitely a great first bike for any little girl. Choose your size and order one today so that you and your kids can get out there and start playing!
Schwinn Petunia Girls 12 Inch Bike
- Features an easy rear-steering handle for parents to grab onto for added fun and safety
- Has a water bottle mounted on the handle to keep both parent and child well hydrated
- Training wheels of this toddler push bike are heavy duty for added security and comfort
- The fully enclosed chain guard keeps curious hands completely safe from getting pinched or hurt
- Adjustable seat can be operated without the use of tools, perfect for those on-the-go fixes
- This toddler bicycle only has coaster brakes, and doesn’t feature a hand brake of any sort
- Doesn’t come with a kickstand attachment if the training wheels ever come off
When steering this toddler bike from the handle at the back, be wary of your little one putting on the breaks very suddenly. They’re operated by pushing back on the pedals, and may result in some slightly bruised shins for the parents
This is essentially the best first bicycle for kids. With mom or dad able to steer from behind, its entirely possible for even an 18 month old child to use this kids bike in complete safety. Pick one up today and start the fun!
Get Free Samples Delivered to Your Door!
Net Parents wants to help you get free samples from top-rated brands. It couldn't be easier!Sign Up for Free Samples
The Bottom Line
You never forget how to ride a bike. For kids it’s one of the very first times in their lives where they realize they really are capable of a great many things. They figure out that just about anything can be learned and mastered if only they apply perseverance and effort. It’s a magical time, to be sure, and we at Net Parents are happy to have helped inform your purchasing decision of the best kids bike for your little one.
Our top picks this time go to the Guardian Lightweight Kids Bike and the Woom bike for their amazing design, and excellent safety features.
While our two top picks are the clear winners here, the fact is you can’t go wrong with any of the toddler bicycles we’ve included in this review. Each one was carefully selected after hours upon hours of research, and they all deserve a spot on our best children bikes list. We thank you all for taking the time to read the results of our hard work, and we look forward to seeing you again! Until next time!
If you want to know more information on kids bikes and bike accessories, you may also like these articles: