10 Best Baby Spoons Reviews of 2019
10 Best Baby Spoons Reviews of 2019
The stress surrounding taking care of a new baby, often comes with lots of surprises and worries, especially if you’re a new parent.
Besides figuring out how to take care of another human, you also need to figure out their clothes, their diapers, sleeping schedules and feeding schedules. Every single day is a new experience with a baby, which means that as they get older, their list of needs only increases. We realize the stress and worry that comes with choosing utensils for your child who has just been introduced to solid and semi-solid foods. This is why we’ve compiled a list of the best baby utensils, including baby spoons, along with toddler forks and baby feeding sets.
As always, our reviews are thoroughly researched and we only come up with the best products to showcase because we realize that your time and money is precious. You’d only want the best for your child which is why we narrow down our items and review that ones that really worth the money. Luckily baby utensils as an item aren’t very expensive so you do have the option to purchase more than one if the need arises.
We also made sure that the products on this list as safe and are certified by the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission in order to make sure that these products are suitable for your child and have not been recalled or have any known defects.
Best Baby Spoons At A Glance
Before we jump into the best baby spoons, we’ve compiled a chart to help you glance at everything including the various spoons, their ratings and the different features.
- These fun, colourful spoons and forks are designed to help your baby learn how to eat by themselves.
- Even if they don’t get much into their mouth, the design will still pick up food and give your baby the chance to eat with utensils.
- These toddler utensils offer an easy grip shape and are dishwasher safe, and BPA free
- The colourful designs on these toddler utensils make it fun to eat and are comfortable for both left and right handed babies
- The wiggly shape has caused a few babies to use these utensils upside down
- The advertised picture is slightly misleading as you do not get 12 utensils
- These are too big of a spoon for a child and the forks do not pick up food well
Babies will start feeding themselves around the age of 8 months
Initially, you will notice that your baby grasps for their food with their whole hand, but eventually they will learn to use multiple fingers.
In terms of quality, Nuby is well known, which means that you will be getting what you paid for in terms of quality. We recommend this baby utensil set for first feeders because it will give your child the freedom to use the product themselves. Furthermore, you will be getting both a spoon and a fork in comparison to the other sets on the market that only come with toddler spoons.
- These silicone designed spoons and great for picking up food and fitting your baby’s mouth. They are soft and are designed for durability.
- Each spoon is shaped for easy scooping with the help of the contoured handle angled making it easier for feeding
- The OXO Tot is BHA, phthalate and PVC free
- The spoon set is made with sturdy stainless steel
- The silicone tip makes it easy for baby teeth to puncture it.
- These baby spoons are a little on the pricier side
- Silicone material grabs the smell of dish-soap or food
Make sure you are giving your baby the opportunity to try again – even allow her struggle a bit. That’s how she’ll learn!
Give here things like puffs that are dry and big enough to pick up, but not so bug they could choke.
We highly recommend OXO as a brand, not only because they’re trusted but because they’re known to deliver quality. Although you might find this baby feeding set to be on the pricier side in comparison to other baby utensils on the market, you will get what you pay for so we recommend trying it out.
- These NumNum spoons are specifically designed for first-step self-feeding. The pack features 2 gootensils that grabs just enough food including purees and thicker solids.
- The innovative flat design is easier to use than a spoon and there is no wrong way to hold the utensil
- The contoured handle is designed to fit the child’s hand
- This product is latex free, hypoallergenic and BPA free, and also dishwasher safe
- The ends are a little too flat and especially picky toddlers can easily knock off the food.
- The spoon can be broken if bitten an babies might chew on it based on the design
- There are complaints that it is too flat and short
Most kids are motivated to eat and will figure out how to get it into their mouth.
If they aren’t isolating their finger and thumb, set aside some time at the beginning of their meal to give them one piece of food at a time.
Based on the numerous reviews along with how happy parents have been, these spoons seem to be perfect in terms of starting your child out and teaching them to eat by themselves. We do recommend checking them out to see if they’ll work for you.
- This 2- pack spoon set is specifically designed to help your little one learn how to feed themselves.
- They have an excellent grip and allow food to be picked up easily.
- The soft tip on spoon is gentle on gums and the flexible pocket helps prevent spilling
- This baby utensil is extra deep for easy scooping, dishwasher safe and very easy to clean
- The thick handle of the spoon might not be very helpful to some toddlers who have trouble holding
- This baby spoon is a hit or miss depending on child
- The spoon is too wide at the front and food gets stuck at the back of the spoon
These spoons are specially designed to teach your toddler how to self-feed which means that they’re worth a try. They come in a set of two and the design allows your child to pick up food by themselves. For the price and the quality, you cannot go wrong.
- These germ-resistant baby spoons are soft and specially designed to help your little one learn how to eat by themselves.
- They are small enough to pick up food and have an easy grip handle to use. These are also perfect for kids that are teething since the tip is incredibly soft.
- These are perfect for soft and solid foods and makes mealtime easier
- The soft edged silicone makes it easier to feed
- This product is hypoallergenic, resistant to growth of bacteria and dishwasher safe
- The soft plastic of the spoon makes it extremely biteable
- The mouth of the spoon is a little too wide for some babies
- The spoon handle is too long. It is also too thick and shallow
Try placing small portions of the meal on their tray first instead of a boatload.
Spend a few minutes practicing at the beginning of the meal and let them finish normally so they don’t get frustrated.
If you’re looking for gum-friendly and germ resistant spoons then look no further because this product has you covered. It will soothe your little one’s gums as they learn to eat by themselves. Not only will you be at ease but so will your child. In terms of quality and price, you get what you pay for and we believe that this product speaks for itself.
- A set of colourful baby feeding spoons designed to help your little one learn how to pick up food and eat by themselves.
- The rounded, soft spoon bowls are gentle on baby gums
- These have ergonomically designed handles that are comfortable to hold
- The top rack is dishwasher safe, BPA free and phthalate free
- These baby spoons have bright and fun colours and overall makes feeding easier
- Some parents have written that the shape of the spoon is a little too wide at the front for their kids. This could just be depending on how old the child is, which is why the spoon might not fit in their mouths.
- Although claims to be dishwasher safe some have argued it gets ruined
Try to serve your baby foods that are diced up into small pieces for easier eating.
In estimation, babies or toddlers should be able to feed themselves with a spoon by the age of 2.
You get a pack of 6 spoons that come in a variety of fun colours, which means that they are worth it in terms of price and in terms of quality. We believe that you have the option of trying these out without overstepping your budget and breaking the bank on something as simple as baby utensils.
- The stainless steel handles with a silicone grip make, feeding easier especially for babies that are learning to feed themselves.
- These Gerber Graduates Spoons comes in 6 bright and fun colours
- These baby spoons are dishwasher safe and BPA free
- The unique long and curved handles make feeding easier
- The actual head of the spoon is slightly thicker than the average silicone spoon, which means that depending on your baby’s mouth they might be difficult to use
- These spoons do not hold a lot of food
- The product size is smaller than expected and the steel handles can be slippery for tiny hands
If given the opportunity, your baby may be able to feed his or her self with a spoon as young as one year old
During the early days of feeding, give your baby his or her own spoon while you feed them
We highly recommend Gerber as a brand, especially since their products are known to perform consistently well, repeatedly. Based on the reviews and the product description itself we know that both you and your child will end up satisfied.
- These environmentally friendly spoons made from bamboo with a silicone tip will allow your child to pick up food and eat by itself.
- These spoons are BPA and phthalate silicone free
- This is made with ergonomically designed bamboo that fits both adult and baby hands
- The bright cheery colours make mealtime fun
- This product is made with organic bamboo with no fillers and is environmentally friendly
- Some parents have written that for the design these spoons are a little pricy
- The photos do not accurately portray design and the spoons are a bit on the pricier side
- The silicone does not detach from spoon
Allowing your baby to feed herself with a spoon lets them practice their motor skills too.
Once they start to put the spoon to their mouth put your hand on top of theirs and dip it together in the food, just enough so its just a taste
These are the only spoons on this list that are a little on the pricier side, however with that being said we do believe that they’re worth the cost especially given all the positive reviews they’ve garnered. We recommend trying them out and switching to another product on this list if you’re not completely satisfied.
- The Take and Toss spoons are the perfect size for infants and toddlers looking to eat by themselves.
- The material is gentle on baby gums
- The extra long handles offer more balance and grip
- These spoons are durable, dishwasher and microwave safe, and BPA free
- These do melt in the dishwasher although they claim to be dishwasher safe
- There is a cheap design and feel to this product
- The ppoon is a little too deep for the child’s mouth
Allow your baby to feed themselves a few times throughout the meal until they get the hang of it.
Once they get the hang of feeding themselves, you can begin giving them their own bowl
For the price and the quality, you really cannot go wrong in choosing these for your child. They’re good to try out and switch later on if it’s something that doesn’t satisfy your needs. The good thing is that you don’t need to feel guilty about tossing them since that’s what the name suggests in the first place. We recommend these!
- These spoons are specifically designed for self-feeders because there is no right way to use them. A child can use them upside down and still get food into their mouth.
- The ChooMee baby spoon offers a patent Dual Flex Technology
- The Food Channel Design allows purees to lock in
- The silicone texture and firmness is ideal for soft gums
- Although the design is a little unique it does not grab food that well
- Can get messy and some babies might use it as a teether rather than a spoon
When you allow your baby to start feeding themselves with their own bowl, consider buying or using a suction bowl to prevent spillage.
When using their own bowl give them a little food in the bowl at a time. At this point you are still feeding them most of the meal.
Depending on what you want and need in a spoon set this is definitely something we’d recommend. If you’re choosing between this and the NumNum, just know that there is a $2 price difference which means that regardless of which one you choose we believe that you will be satisfied.
The Bottom Line
Whether you’ve already gone through parenting a baby or you’re about to become one for the first time, we’re sure this review has something that will help everyone. If you’re looking to buy a set of utensils for your little one but unsure of where to start, we’ve got you covered. This review has looked at various brands and has also listed out the specific features of each set of utensils. Whether you decide to opt for a spoon, a fork or a set of both the various options we’ve listed above will help you to decide which one is best for you and your child. The great thing about baby utensils is the fact that they’re relatively cheap which means that you can buy a couple and see which ones fit your needs best. Unlike other baby products these won’t be breaking the bank and are well within the budget of many.
We’ve done our research and read various reviews to bring you the best products on the market today which means that you don’t have to spend time and effort considering products that might not be suitable for your baby. Regardless of what you choose, always make sure to do your own research before purchasing something.