Soft play mats are a must for growing babies. They help keep your little ones safe as well as entertained. While you are busy doing your household chores or are spending some quality time with your spouse or friends, you can safely leave your child on it and let him play with his favorite toys or simply sleep on it. Although the children’s play mats foam based look like very basic things, they are extremely useful for promoting your child’s growth and development. Best baby foam play mats boost the emotional and creative side of your child. He/she will get a better idea of colors, patterns, and designs. Infant foam play mats usually have activity gyms that will help build their neck, shoulder, and upper body muscles along with improving their hand-eye coordination. Baby foam mat non toxic materials provide a safe place for self-discovery. Your child will learn to crawl or stand up and while doing so, he will probably fall many times, but being soft and cushiony, the mats will prevent any harm to your baby so that he can gear up again for his new adventure.
The best baby foam play mats are the ones that are made of non-toxic BPA free materials and have enough cushioning to prevent any major injury to your child. They are available in various shapes, sizes, and patterns, to cater to various age groups. The larger ones are meant for babies who can sit, crawl or walk. The smaller ones are infant foam play mats meant for newborns. They usually have hanging toys at the top that keep the baby engaged.
Children’s play mats foams are highly in demand these days and a lot of companies have started manufacturing them in attractive colors, designs, and patterns to cash on the opportunity. However, many of them are made of poor quality, toxic materials, which is why we have come up with this list of the ten best baby foam play mats. This list includes only non toxic foam play mats on which your baby can comfortably spend hours playing with his toys or just enjoying some tummy time.
Best Baby Foam Play Mat At A Glance
Before we learn more about the ten best children’s play mats foam in details, let’s look at some of their specifications and features that make them worthy of being on our list.
View on Amazon
This baby foam mat non toxic product is well-designed and well-manufactured. I like the illustrations of various buildings. The thickness is really comfortable for my boys. Great buy!
Measuring 39 x 79”, this jumbo-sized non toxic foam play mat is perfect for kids of all age groups, even newborns. It is made of high-quality memory foam and features a ‘city’ design with various areas such as a gas station, hospital, police station, fire station, post office, school, bakery, park, home, and much more! It is a perfect activity carpet where your baby can run his toy cars and trucks. Featuring a lot of colors, numbers, safety signs, and traffic rules, this baby foam mat non toxic toy is perfect for teaching basic things to your little one. You can ask him to cross the road in his car or take his pet to the hospital. This soft foam play mat provides hours of fun and the non-slip backing helps it stay in its place no matter how your child uses it.
- It is a non toxic foam play mat featuring a city layout for imaginative play and hours of fun.
- This children’s play mats foam is not painted. Rather, the colors are weaved through the entire carpet.
- Even though it is a thick foam play mat, you can easily roll it up for storage.
- Can be washed with soapy water and hung to dry. Can be vacuumed too.
- Made of ½ inch thick memory foam.
- It’s back surface has non-slip coating. So, no matter how you use it, it will stay in its place.
- This thick foam play mat is delivered folded and not rolled. So, you will have to lay it flat for a few hours to get rid of the crease.
- It is not waterproof but dries up quickly.
Memory foam soft play mats are perfect for kids who are learning to sit on their own without any support. Plus, the city design makes it suitable for imaginative play for kids above 2 years old. So, this means, you can use this children’s play mat foam for years and for a wide age group. When your baby has outgrown it, you can simply use it as a bedside rug in your kids’ room.
View on Amazon
We have hardwood throughout our house and this mat doesn’t even slip slightly. The puzzle piece one I had used to fall apart but this is a single-piece one and when we are expecting guests, we just roll it up and slide it under our bed.
This children’s play mats foam is tested to US CPSIA, European Toy Standards EN71, and Australian Standards. It is BPA-free, EVA-free, Phthalate-free, Lead-free, Latex-free, Formaldehyde-free, and Mercury-free. No wonder why it is on our list of best baby foam play mats. It features sea petals on one side and numbers, shapes, and letters on the other side. Both the sides are usable and waterproof. Both sides are non-slippery too. So, it can be used by babies of all age groups, from the smaller ones who have just started crawling to the already grownup kids. You can even use it for doing yoga, as it measures as much as a queen-size mattress and has enough cushioning to keep your little one safe no matter what he does on it. Although being a thick foam play mat, you can easily roll it up for storage or for moving from one room to another.
- It is hypoallergenic, waterproof, one-piece baby foam mat non toxic product.
- Made of 100% recyclable materials, which are BPA, Lead, Phthalate, latex, and formaldehyde free.
- This non toxic foam play mat is tested to US CPSIA, European Toy Standards EN71, and Australian Standards.
- Both sides are usable and non-slippery.
- Available in two sizes and 4 attractive colors.
- Being an infant foam play mat, it is waterproof and can be wipe-cleaned.
- Comes with a two-year warranty.
- It is more expensive than the other best baby foam play mats listed here.
- You may have to air it out to get rid of the smell.
If it suits your budget, it is definitely worth buying, since it has been tested for safety and quality. Moreover, both its sides are usable, so your baby won’t get bored easily. When your child has outgrowth it, you can use it as a yoga mat or simply as a floor mat.
View on Amazon
I have been looking for an infant foam play mat so that my 4 months old can try rolling and this mat exactly serves the purpose. It is large enough so that I can sit on it with him. I have even washed it so many times and it still looks like new.
This comfy plush padded infant foam play mat is perfect for small babies, usually below 1 year of age. It features a variety of engaging activities that will improve your child’s hand-eye coordination, promote facial recognition, as well as improve their senses, gross motor skills, cognition, and fine motor skills. It has an adjustable stand-alone mirror which increases tummy time and helps build neck and shoulder muscles. There is a detachable teether, a ring for attaching a toy of your choice, a crinkly foxtail, and a peek-a-boo tree to keep the little one busy. It is JPMA certified and manufactured strictly as per ASTM and Federal safety standards. No wonder why it is rated as one of the best baby foam play mats.
- It is a compact and foldable infant foam play mat that can be used at home or carried to parks, beaches, and almost anywhere.
- JMPA certified and manufactured according to ASTM and Federal standards.
- Being an infant foam play mat, it has a variety of interesting features that boost your baby’s tactile and motor skills.
- Measures 59 inches by 39 inches and can easily accommodate an adult and a baby or two babies.
- This soft foam play mat can be machine-washed after removing the toys. You need to air-dry it.
- The toys attached to it are BPA-free.
- If your baby has started crawling, it could slip while he tries to do so. Place it on a carpet or on a mattress.
- Meant for small babies only.
The JPMA and ASTM certification justify the high price of this infant foam play mat as not many children’s play mats foams are certified ones. It also has a lot of toys such as the mirror, the teether, peek-a-boo tree, snail tail, etc. to keep your little one busy. Highly recommended for small babies who haven’t yet started crawling.
View on Amazon
This soft foam play mat is really thick. My 11 month old daughter has fallen many times on it while trying to walk and the cushions have protected her head. Since we have concrete floor, we have bought three sets to cover the whole living room for the baby.
This safari animal-themed non toxic foam play mat is perfect for small babies as well as for toddlers who are learning to crawl or walk. It is available in a variety of color palettes and features lovely safari animals. This thick foam play mat measures 6.5 x 6.5 feet and 5/8 (.625) inches thick. It is quite thicker than the other best baby foam play mats listed here. To prevent tripping, the manufacturer has created sloped borders, which act as a ramp and prevent babies from stumbling down. Counted among the best baby foam mat non toxic, this SoftTiles interlocking children’s foam play mat is made of nontoxic EVA foam and is tested to EN-71 European Toy Safety Standards, which is why we highly recommend this one.
- It is an extra thick foam play mat, suitable for newborns and toddlers and can be used afterward too as a floor mat.
- It is tested to EN-71 European Toy Safety Standards and it is free of formamide, formaldehyde, lead, BPA, latex, phthalates, and fire retardants.
- The borders are sloped to prevent tripping hazards.
- It has a non-slip surface.
- If you are wondering how to clean baby foam play mats, this one is quite easy to clean. You just need to wipe it with a soapy solution.
- This non toxic foam play mat is made of superior quality dense foam and, therefore, the mats hold together very well and are less likely to come apart.
- It is expensive as compared to the other competitive children’s play mats foams.
- You may have to air it out to get rid of the smell.
Since this soft play mat is tested to European Toy Safety standards and is non-toxic, the price is justified. The sloped edges are great for preventing trips and falls not only for kids but also for parents, as a lot many times we parents also trip off due to their excessive thickness. If it fits into your budget, you should go for it.
View on Amazon
They have an amazing customer service team. I called them to ask if these thick foam play mats have BPA. They answered the call quickly and replied to all my questions. The size and thickness of this mat is good.
This inexpensive soft play mat features alphabets & numbers and, therefore, it is an excellent educational toy for your child, other than taking care of injuries. It has 36 pieces of interlocking puzzles made with different bright colors. You can use all of them or let your child use his imagination and create his own mat just the way he/she wants. The manufacturer of this soft foam play mat claims that it is the safest of all mats and is made of 100% non-toxic materials. It is made strictly as per U.S.A. and European standards, which is why it is one of the best baby foam play mats in our list. This baby foam mat non toxic product is suitable for small babies, toddlers, as well as pre-schoolers.
- It is a 36 piece alphabet and number themed soft play mat.
- Made of 100% non-toxic materials.
- Adheres to U.S and European safety standards and ASTM standards.
- Free of phthalate, lead, and other toxic products.
- The EVA foam used in this soft foam play mat is hypoallergenic.
- It can be cleaned very easily with a warm damp cloth.
- You may have to air it out to get rid of the smell.
- The letters and numbers could stick out.
If you are looking for an inexpensive and yet non toxic foam play mat, this product is worth considering. It is perfect for a wide age group and can be used for educational purpose too. The thickness is great as compared to its price. You can’t get an ASTM certified soft foam play mat at such as low price.
View on Amazon
My expeditiously curious baby needed this one. It is quite thick and cushiony. My baby has toppled so many times since we have started using it and she never got hurt. It was smelling when I took it out but now the smell has dissipated.
This is another inexpensive and yet very cushiony and sturdy non toxic foam play mat. It is available in the set of 16 and 36 tiles and each tile measures 1 square foot. The manufacturer of this children’s play mats foam claims that it is made of non toxic material and is tested for lead, BPA, and phthalate. Counted among the best baby foam play mats, it is manufactured strictly as per the U.S toy safety standards. The thickness of this infant foam play mat is 0.4 inch, which means it is cushiony enough to protect your baby from severe injuries. Like all other BalanceFrom products, this one too is covered by their 100% satisfaction guarantee as well as a two-year warranty. This soft foam play mat is suitable for newborns, toddlers, as well as preschoolers.
- This baby foam mat non toxic product meets or exceeds the US toy safety standards.
- It has non slip surfaces on both its sides and can be used on all types of floors.
- It is water-resistant and can be cleaned easily with soap and water.
- This children’s play mats come with extra edges so that you can use as many or as few pieces as you want.
- It comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Since it is made of high-quality EVA foam, the puzzles interlock very well and they won’t fall apart quickly.
- You may have to air it out to get rid of its smell.
- Keep your pets away as they could rip it off.
This non toxic foam play mat is inexpensive and yet, it is designed to meet and exceed US safety standards. The non-slip surface helps prevent trips and falls. The color combinations are great and they will add a lot of colors to your baby room. Later, you can also use it as an exercise mat or yoga mat.
View on Amazon
These children's play mats foam puzzles fit together very well and don’t fall apart so easily like the other cheaper mats. Drools, spits, etc. are so easy to clean. My cat loves this one too much and I had to guard it with gates so that she doesn’t scratch it up.
This 36 piece children’s play mat foam puzzle is perfect for kids of all age groups including newborns, toddlers, and preschoolers. The foam tiles are of six different colors; red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Each tile measures 1 square foot in dimensions and 0.56 inches in thickness. The thickness of this soft foam play maths is much better than many other best baby foam play mats. They exceed the relevant CPSC guidelines and are highly recommended for babies and adults with sensitive skin too. No wonder why we have included it in our list of best non toxic foam play mats. The manufacturer claims that if maintained properly, this thick foam play mat can last for up to 10 years. What more can you expect from such as inexpensive children’s play mat foam!
- This non toxic foam play mat is BPA free and is manufactured to meet CPSC guidelines.
- It is made of 0.56” high-density EVA foam and is thicker than the other soft foam play mats.
- It is waterproof and can be cleaned easily with a damp cloth or a soapy solution.
- Both sides are non-slippery and can be used for a wide variety of activities and almost all floor types.
- Tiles are of 6 different bright colors and they will give a cheerful look to the room.
- Can last for up to 10 years.
- If you need the edges, you will have to buy them separately.
- You will have to air it out to get rid of the smell.
It is non-tearable, which is why it is better than many other inexpensive infant foam play mats whose edges can be torn even by a baby. Cleaning it is pretty easy. You can buy a sponge mop to make your work even easier. Definitely worth the price, as it can be used as an exercise mat later when your baby has outgrown it.
View on Amazon
The colors are nice and vibrant. Although it is a foldable soft play mat, it doesn’t curl up and stays flat on the floor. It is very lightweight, so I can conveniently carry it to the park along with my baby.
This foldable soft play mat is perfect for small kids who are practicing tummy time and for those who are learning to walk and crawl. It comes with its own carry case so you can fold it up and carry it with you to beaches, parks, and almost anywhere you go. The manufacturer claims that it is a non toxic foam play mat and is BPA-free too. It is manufactured to adhere to the highest quality and safety standards, which is why it is one of the best baby foam play mats for infants and toddlers. One of its sides feature a town scene, whereas the other one features a jungle setting, so your baby is not going to get bored so easily. Highly recommended for indoor as well as outdoor use. Can be used in daycares, nurseries, and classrooms too.
- This is a 4’10”x5’10” double-sided reversible non toxic foam play mat for babies 3 months old up to crawling age.
- One side features a jungle animal design and the other side features a town scene.
- You can vacuum clean, wipe, or shake this infant foam play mat to clean it.
- It is foldable and portable. Comes with its own carry bag.
- It is made of non-toxic, BPA free materials.
- It is a soft and cushiony infant foam play mat that will provide adequate protection to your baby.
- It is not as thick as the other soft foam play mats are, which is because it is only meant for small babies.
- Keep your pets away as their claws could create holes in it.
Although expensive, this infant foam play mat by Hape is a great choice for kids who haven’t yet started crawling. The town scene and animal scenes will help your child learn a lot about his surroundings. Being a foldable and compact children’s play mat foam, it is great for outdoor use too.
View on Amazon
We have hardwood floors and we needed something to absorb the shock when our baby falls. This serves its purpose very well. My son was having trouble learning to crawl so we put him on this non toxic foam play mat and now he has started exploring the mat.
This 36-piece alphabet and number soft play mat is perfect for toddlers as well as preschoolers. Each foam piece measures 1 square foot, so this set can cover 36 square feet of area. It is made of 100% EVA foam and is thick enough to protect your children against fall injuries. The manufacturer of this children’s play mat foam claims that it is non toxic, lead and phthalate-free, which is why it is counted among the best baby foam play mats. The letters and numbers are removable from the center, so you can use it as a shape-matching game as well. Can be used at home as well as in creche, playschools, preschools, etc.
- The baby foam mat non toxic 36 piece puzzle set has 6 different colors.
- It is made of 100% EVA foam and is non-toxic, phthalate, and lead-free.
- It has removable numbers and alphabets that can be used for puzzle games.
- This soft foam play mat has a very good interlocking system.
- It comes with edge pieces so that you can use as many or as few pieces as you want.
- Very easy to maintain. You just need to wipe it with a clean damp cloth.
- Since the numbers and alphabets come out, young babies can take them out on their own and chew them if left unattended.
- The thickness of this soft play mat is less than the thickness of the other competitive products.
This 36 piece children’s play mats foam is very inexpensive. The cutouts can be taken out easily, which is why we recommend it for older babies such as preschoolers. Other than being a playmat, it serves as an educational toy as well.
View on Amazon
This children's play mat foam is well made. It is perfect for our play area. My 4 year old and 8 month old would sit on it for hours and play with their favorite toys. The younger one has been trying to crawl on it and the textured, non-slip surface makes it easy for him.
If you are looking for an inexpensive children’s play mat foam without compromising on the safety aspect, this 16 piece soft foam play mat puzzle best serves your purpose. Although it is less pricey, it is non-toxic and free of lead, phthalates, and other toxic chemicals. It is made of high-density foam and has enough cushioning to prevent any injury. It measures 4’ X 4’ and you can buy multiple sets to cover more area as needed. 24 border pieces are also included with this baby foam mat non toxic product, so that you can join as many or as few pieces as you want. The foam pieces have a soft texture, which makes it suitable for sensitive skin too. Rated as one of the best baby foam play mats, this product provides you much more than what you can expect at its price.
- It has 16 interlocking puzzles made with bright primary colors that will help your baby learn to identify them quickly.
- It is a non toxic foam play mat, free of lead and phthalate.
- It has a waterproof surface which can be quickly cleaned with a damp cloth.
- This children’s play mats foam puzzle set comes with 24 edge pieces.
- It is easy to assemble and pull apart.
- Suitable for kids of all age groups.
- The thickness of this soft play mat is less than the other competitive products.
- If it smells, you will have to air it out for some time.
The price of this product makes it an amazing buy, especially if you have a tight budget and still want something safe for your baby. It is a very basic mat and can be used by kids of all age groups including toddlers.
Non Toxic Foam Play Mat – Overview
New parents are often unaware of the harmful chemicals that are there in the baby products. Most of us usually check the dimensions and design of the children’s play mats foams while ordering. But, as a concerned parent, you need to be more vigilant and look for certifications from JPMA or other relevant agencies. These agencies thoroughly test each product and approve only the non toxic foam play mats i.e. the ones that do not contain BPA, Lead, phthalate, mercury, and other harmful chemicals.
Many inexpensive children’s play mat foams contain phthalate, a toxic chemical which is frequently used to increase the flexibility, durability, and transparency of soft foam play mats. Phthalate is linked to asthma, ADHD, obesity, type 2 diabetes, behavioral issues, breast cancer, and much more, which is the reason why we strongly recommend that you must buy baby foam mat non toxic products. Similarly, BPA is another toxic compound frequently used in soft play mats to increase their plasticity. BPA poses serious health risks and can even affect the functioning of the brain, which is why you should buy the BPA-free, non toxic foam play mats that are listed here. Our team has carefully selected these best baby foam play mats. You can definitely count on us for your baby’s safety and comfort. Unlike us, their body is still developing and their immune system is much weaker than ours. Chemicals that are non-toxic for us could be toxic for them, which is why we have to be very careful while selecting things for them.
What Criteria We Used In Evaluation Of Children’s Play Mats of Foam
As mentioned above, baby foam mat non toxic puzzles are not just floor covering that will provide your baby a cushiony surface. The best baby foam play mats that we have selected serve as an educational tool too. They help build their cognitive and motor skills, as well as promote early learning. Our list of best baby home play mats contains products that are inexpensive, durable, colorful, and educational. Here are some criteria that we have used to come up with this amazingly helpful list of soft foam play mats.
Our list of best baby foam play mats consists of only those products that are certified to be non-toxic and baby safe. All of them are free of BPA, phthalate, and lead. Many of them are certified by JPMA and other similar agencies, so you can count on this list to select the safest and non toxic foam play mat for your little one. Some of them do have a chemical smell, so you need to air it out for a few hours or a day or two.
Easy to clean
You can expect a lot of mess on the mat, which includes pet hairs, poops, spills, vomit, and much more. Therefore, we have selected only those infant foam play mats, which are super easy to clean, so you don’t have to spend your whole weekend cleaning them up. Some of them are washable, whereas some of them are waterproof and can be wipe-cleaned with a damp cloth and soapy solution. You don’t need to use any harsh detergents or chemicals to clean them up. They just need to be brushed or vacuumed and wiped with a clean damp cloth.
If the children’s play mats foams are not durable, they are probably unsafe. Your child can tear them and can even grab and put the torn part into his mouth. Your pet could scratch it up and leave the fine particles for your baby to swallow. Such thick foam play mats are potential hazards and must not be used for babies. If you need help selecting a durable and best baby foam play mat, you can select any of the above ones, as they are made of highly durable foams. When maintained properly, they can last for years.
Your baby may be too young for you but most new parents don’t realize that baby’s brain and eyesight develops the most during the first year of his life, which is why you must not ignore this period and must buy educational infant foam play mats that introduce him to basic colors, numbers, alphabets, animals, etc. In our list of best baby foam play mats, we have selected various puzzles and single-piece foldable mats that will keep your baby engaged for hours.
Baby Foam Mat Non Toxic Puzzles FAQ
Here are some commonly asked questions about children’s play mat foams:
How to Clean Baby Foam Play Mats?
Soft play mats need to be cleaned almost every day in order to keep away dust, dirt, and bacteria. Thankfully they are pretty easy to clean. All you need to do is to vacuum them once a week to get rid of the dust particles stuck between the textured patterns. While vacuuming, you need to choose the right attachment. For daily cleaning, you need to dunk your mop into a bucket of water and add a few drops of dishwashing liquid or any other antibacterial liquid cleaner to it. Squeeze the mop tightly to get rid of excessive water and then wipe the surface of the mop with it. You can use a soft scrubber to get rid of the greasy spots.
What Age Do Babies Use Playmats?
Non toxic foam play mats are suitable for all age groups, right from 3 month babies to toddlers, preschoolers, and afterward. They are available in various sizes and designs to cater to each age group. Some are designed specifically for small babies to boost their tummy time and help build their core muscles. Others are meant for toddlers who haven’t yet mastered the art of walking. So, the answer to what age do babies use playmats depends on what age you want to introduce it to them.
When to Use a Playmat for a Baby?
You can use a soft foam play mat right from day one but we recommend you to wait until your child is 3 months old. That’s the time when he will start enjoying his surroundings. A six month old baby would need thick foam play mat with hanging objects so that he can raise his hands to grab it, thereby learning hand-eye coordination. Once your toddler starts crawling, he will need a thick and soft play mat which will protect him from falls when he will try to get on his legs. A preschooler would need an alphabet or number children’s play mats foam puzzles which will help him learn to identify them. So, when to use a playmat for a baby is not really a question you should be worrying about, you just need to buy the right mat.
Children’s play mats foams are inexpensive and fun ways to keep your baby engaged and safe while you are busy doing your household chores. The best baby foam play mats listed here are of wide price range and meant for a wide age group too. You can select the one that suits you the best. Other than buying a non toxic foam play mat, you have to make sure you keep it as clean as possible, because play mats are prone to attract dirt, dust, and bacteria. We hope this blog helps you find a suitable infant foam play mat for your little one. For more information on other baby care products, please keep reading our blog.
Copyright © 2019 Net Parents. All Right Reserved.