You’ve been carrying your baby on hikes, shopping trips, and walks for months now. But now your baby is starting to grow out of that comfortable wrap and small carrier that you both love so much. It can be especially hard to find a toddler carrier since so many toddlers like to switch back and forth between walking and being carried. Strollers are nice for the easy transitions, but sometimes they’re just too much to bring around with you. Where do you find a toddler carrier that’s easy to move your busy toddler in and out of?
Don’t worry about searching high and low for the perfect carrier, because we’ve done the work for you! We’ve looked at reviews of all the best toddler carriers on the market and have put together some easily accessible information about the best of the best. Each of the toddler carriers we’ve chosen to include are the best based on safety, comfort for both baby and user, and usability.
All these child carriers comply with safety regulations as outlined by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) of the United States.
You can compare the pros and cons of each toddler carrier and how they each meet your specific needs. Every parent and every toddler has different preferences, and we’ve put this together to help you find what will work best for you.
Best Toddler Carriers At A Glance
Before we get into the details about each different child carrier, take a look at this comparison chart to see some of the specifications side-by-side. This chart has been designed to help you figure out which carrier best meets your needs without having to scan through a whole bunch of text.
View on Amazon
I have various different carriers but this one is the best without any doubt. It is comfortable for both of us and I don’t get tired even after wearing this for hours.
This ergo carrier allows you to wear your baby multiple ways—on your front or back and either facing you or facing out. What’s especially great about this carrier is that all the positions are ergonomic, making sure your baby is seated comfortably and safely.
- Even the ergo forward facing position is ergonomic, unlike some of the carrier’s competitors
- There’s a hood you can pull out from its pocket to cover your toddler’s head while they sleep or if they need some extra protection from the sun
- Machine washable, making it so easy to clean after a busy, messy day
- Velcro waistband can be loud and difficult to adjust
- The ergobaby weight limit is 33 pounds, so some toddlers may be too big for it
You can purchase an additional infant insert if you want to use this carrier from the get-go.
If you’re looking for a toddler carrier that you can use for long outings, the ergo carrier is a solid option because of its great weight distribution. Its strong waist puts the weight of your toddler on your hips so you won’t feel that shoulder strain. Additionally, the ergo back carry position is more secure than some competitors’ back carry positions.
View on Amazon
This is an awesome carrier for the price. Simply exceeded my expectations! It didn’t take much time to become my son’s favourite. I would definitely recommend this.
This toddler carrier covers pretty much any position you can think of. Your toddler can be both front facing and parent facing, even when using just the hip seat. The BabySteps carrier is ergonomic in all positions and can hold up to 44lbs, so you can be sure that your toddler will be able to use it until they’re ready to roam around on their own.
- You really can’t beat 6 different positions all in one carrier
- Large pocket on the front leaves enough room for your phone, keys, and wallet so you don’t have to worry about bringing a separate bag with you on shorter trips
- Breathable fabric keeps you and your toddler cool
- Plastic buckles are very squeaky
- Adjustment can be difficult unless you have help
Wear the toddler carrier with the one strap option which goes cross-body.
If you’re working within a budget, this toddler carrier is a fantastic choice. Both you and your baby will be comfortable for long and short trips, and you’ll never get bored with the 6 different carrying options.
View on Amazon
This is perfect if you want to take care of house tasks and keep your baby with you. My son love it! I use this for going to the grocery store and almost everywhere.
The Infantino flip carrier is one of many carriers that the company makes. The flip offers the option of carrying your baby facing out. Additionally, you can adjust the seat to either a wide fit or a narrow fit, depending on what your baby likes best.
- Narrow and wide seats allow your baby to grow with the seat
- Lightweight, which makes it great for longer outings
- Babies seem to love falling asleep in it
- The forward-facing position in the Infantino flip carrier is not ergonomic, so this may not be the best front facing baby carrier option for you if you want to carry your baby in this position for a long time
- For some users, they found that their babies’ legs were actually losing circulation in the front-facing position
If you’re finding circulation to be an issue, creating a DIY towel or blanket insert in the bottom of the carrier will give just enough boost and support for you baby to sit comfortably with proper circulation.
For babies, the Infantino flip carrier is easy to use and comfortable. However, as your baby grows into a toddler, it seems comfort for both you and your toddler become a bit of an issue. That being said, if your toddler is small and you’re looking for a great deal, then the Infantino flip carrier is the one for you!
View on Amazon
This is my favourite carrier due to its design and ease of use. It is durable and I don’t have to worry about the safety of my child.
The Tula toddler carrier comes in many different prints and colours and all at the same price, so you’re bound to find one that you fall in love with! You can also carry on your front and your back, both in ergonomic positions.
- The toddler Tula weight limit is 60lbs—higher than any competitor
- The material is lightweight and breathable, making hot days and long trips bearable
- Comfortable padding on straps and toddler’s leg area
- More expensive than competitors with fewer features
- When front carrying, the strap between the shoulder blades is difficult to fasten alone
You can adjust the upper buckle to a lower position by simply sliding them down the straps that it is attached to on either side.
If you want to carry your toddler for as long as possible (and look stylish while doing so!), then the Tula toddler carrier is an excellent option. It’s strong, lightweight, and comfortable, and a great candidate if you have the money to spend. It also makes a great toddler backpack carrier for hiking.
View on Amazon
Without any doubt the best carrier I've ever used. Got this when I was going for vacations and it did the job well. It is very comfy for me and for the baby as well.
The Bebamour 2in1 toddler carrier is a fantastic and affordable option for baby carrying. With a weight limit up to 45lbs, you can use this carrier and hip seat from infancy through toddlerhood. In the instruction manual, there are suggestions on the best carrying methods according to your baby’s growth to make sure you and your baby are as safe and comfortable as possible.
- The hip seat is comfortable both comfortable for your toddler and distributes their weight properly to your hips
- Breathable mesh is soft and comfortable for your baby
- Zippered pocket on the waistband to store your credit cards, keys, and phone securely
- Sleep hood can be used to give your little one some privacy and shade when needed and tucks away neatly when not in use
- There are large gaps on the sides, so if you have a particularly wiggly little one they may be able to wriggle an arm out of the correct position
- Can be difficult to back carry if you don’t have someone helping you put it on
If you are using the carrier for an infant between 0 and 3 months, only use the hip seat since they are not yet big enough to fit safely with the sling attached.
For a toddler carrier that is so versatile, comfortable, and secure, you cannot beat this price. The Bebamour 2in1 carrier is low-cost and is just as high-quality as other competitors on the market.
View on Amazon
I bought this for my daughter when I was going for camp trip. It made the whole experience great. The support it provided was amazing. I love that you can easily adjust it.
The Clevr baby backpack carrier is an ideal choice if you want to take your toddler on long hikes. This carrier has been designed with adventure in mind, with a canopy to protect your toddler from sun, rain, and wind. You can also adjust the seat to have your little one sitting closer to you or a little further back, depending on your preference.
- Has a large storage pocket underneath the child seat to fit snacks, water, etc.
- Toddler is seated high enough to be able to see all around
- Metal kickstand makes it easy to put on and take off
- Not a ton of leg support for your child
- No way to store the sun shade when not in use
Extend the child seat further away from your body so they can rest their heads back against the seat for a nap!
If you are an avid hiker who is looking for a toddler carrier backpack to meet storage and carrying needs at once, then the Clevr baby backpack carrier is for you! The weight limit is lower than some competitors at only 33lbs, but if your toddler is smaller it should still be great.
View on Amazon
I would highly recommend this to every parent out there. This is has become my son’s favourite thing to be in. He gets excited whenever he sees it.
This Nimnyk toddler carrier has a hip seat, making all carrying positions ergonomic and comfortable for your little one. The Nimnyk serves as a baby back carrier and a forward-facing carrier, giving you lots of options to keep you and your little one happy. You can also detach the sling portion and use the hip seat by itself.
- Thick, sturdy waist strap distributes your toddler’s weight properly to your hips so you don’t strain your back or shoulders
- The sling’s mesh material is breathable and comfortable to make sure you and your baby don’t overheat
- Great quality and a variety of comfortable positions at a low price
- Mesh pockets for you to store some of your smaller belongings
- The zipper connecting the hip seat with the sling is low quality and has been reported to break after minimal use (note: the manufacturer has been alerted of this issue and is trying to remove all in-stock product with a faulty zipper)
- The waist strap can only be tightened to 25”, so it may be too big for petite parents
If you have problems with the zipper (or any other issues for that matter!), contact NimNyk directly and they will most likely replace the product for you for free. NimNyk’s customer service is great.
Overall, the NimNyk toddler carrier is potentially one of the best front facing baby carriers out there, especially given its great price. The hip seat is both comfortable for your baby and ensures that you’re carrying your little one’s weight safely and without strain.
View on Amazon
Seriously it is a life-saver for me! The design and comfort level of the straps are great, you don’t feel the weight of your baby at all.
The Lumiere 360 child carrier has 6 comfortable positions to carry your baby in from newborn to toddler. The Lumiere is also safety approved by the Baby Carrier Industry Alliance (BCIA), so you can rest easy knowing your baby is entirely safe inside this carrier.
- Adjustable seat to grow with your baby
- Panel on the front to zip up when it’s cold or unzip to expose breathable mesh on hot days
- Easy to nurse in thanks to adjustable chest straps
- Option to hip carry on your side
- Confusing to use at first because of its many features (many snaps, buckles, etc.)
- The mesh material is a bit rough
You can cross the shoulder straps for a more secure fit.
Overall, the Lumiere toddler carrier offers everything you need in a carrier, from infancy to toddlerhood. It’s cheaper than a lot of the bigger brands and offers a 3-year replacement warranty, so you really can’t go wrong with this option!
View on Amazon
You can easily customize the straps to fit it perfectly. It seems secure and is comfortable enough. I don’t have to worry about my baby when I bend down to pick something.
The Boba 4G child carrier is another option that is designed to grow with your baby. It comes with a removable infant insert so you can use the carrier from day 1. This carrier also offers front and back carry options.
- Foot straps so your toddler’s legs don’t dangle
- Easy to nurse in discreetly
- Great for tall and plus-sized parents thanks to carrier’s adjustability
- Has a bag strap holder to snap your purse into securely so you don’t have to worry about it sliding off your shoulder
- Not a great fit for petite parents, as even the tightest settings may be too large
- Bulky fit for some wearers
Use the adjustable straps on the sides to pull your baby closer for breastfeeding.
Although expensive, the Boba 4G child carrier seems to be worth every penny if you’re willing to spend it. It’s easily adjustable and easy to switch between wearers, and the little ones seem to love being snuggled up inside it.
View on Amazon
I use this for my infant and also for my two years old. This works great for both of them. I find it very comfy and the fact that my kids are safe with me.
The LilleBaby 360 toddler carrier is another option that offers 6 comfortable positions for you to carry your baby from infancy to toddlerhood. It also has an adjustable seat so it can be as narrow or wide as your little one needs to be comfortable.
- This LilleBaby all seasons carrier has a panel on the front to zip up for warmth or unzip to expose breathable mesh to cool down
- Option to wear the straps like a regular backpack or crossed
- Great lumbar support to avoid straining your back or shoulders
- Comes in a variety of prints to suit your style
- Petite parents might find the tightest adjustments to be too big
- Material is a bit rough in the leg area
There are elastics on this toddler carrier so you can keep any extra length on the straps safely out of the way.
The Lillebaby forward facing position offers a great way for your toddler to see the world for long-term use. A less common position for carriers, the Lillebaby hip carry position gives you versatility to keep carrying fun and exciting for you and your toddler (or any of the 6 total carrying positions!). Well worth the money!
The Bottom Line
Whether you’re looking for a toddler carrier specifically or something you can use from the beginning of your journey with your newborn, we know you’ll find something to suit your needs in this list.
All of these child carriers are ergonomic and safe for your little one, and comply with the CPSC safety regulations. We’ve narrowed down these products as the best toddler carriers on the market based on their safety, comfort, and usability. Make sure you’ve gone through all the reviews carefully to ensure that you’ve found the carrier that best suits your needs.
For parents on a budget, the best forward facing baby carriers for you will be the BabySteps, Bebamour, or the NimNyk, all of which are affordable and will carry your little one from infancy to toddlerhood.
If your toddler is growing faster than you realize and are looking for something that can carry a bigger child, the Tula toddler carrier is a great pick with a weight limit of up to 60lbs.
No matter what your needs are in a toddler carrier, we know you will love being able to take your toddler on adventures to experience everything right there with you.
Copyright © 2018 Digitally Savvy, Inc. All Right Reserved.