Last updated on April 23rd, 2019
As a parent, the safety of your child is your number one priority. That’s why you need a good baby car seat. You will definitely rest easier knowing you have one. The type of baby car seat that is suitable for you is highly dependent on your baby’s unique needs.
While you may decide to get an infant car seat or toddler car seat, a convertible car seat offers more versatility. Convertible car seats are able to serve your baby all the way from infancy to elementary school.
This is due to that fact that they can face either the front or back, allowing you to keep your baby in the rear-facing position for as long as you need to before turning them to a front position. This saves you the money you would have needed to invest in a rear-facing infant baby seat that you would have to, later on, abandon for a front-facing toddler one.
This is why convertible car seats are quite popular. Due to this popularity, we have decided to bring you the top convertible car seats out there. We pride ourselves in our thorough research methods and have come up with this list through the serious analysis of government crash ratings, baby comfort levels, ease of use levels and user reviews.
These baby car seats not only satisfy federal safety standards but also come with high NHTSA ease of use ratings.
Best Convertible Car Seats At A Glance
Check out this comparison chart before you dive into the details of each car seat to get an idea of which one is the best for you.
View on Amazon
This is quite good! It fit into my car really easily as well. I suggest that you buy this for your child as well.
The Graco 4ever All-in-One is currently the best convertible car seat available. It is most popular for combining four configurations into one baby car seat. These configurations are rear-facing (4-40 pounds), front-facing (20-65 pounds), backed booster and backless booster (40-120 pounds).
Due to its four modes, this Graco convertible car seat can be used for as long as your child needs a car seat. It can easily be used for up to 10 years. This convertible car seat also comes with the advantage of being easy to install and use.
This can be attributed to its InRight LATCH system that saves you time when moving the baby seat from one car to another. Another redeeming quality of this baby car seat is the fact that all its parts are removable.
This makes it very easy to clean, especially when it comes to the seat padding. When it comes to safety, this Graco convertible car seat is at the top of its game. Its energy absorbing foam and side impact protection offers maximum protection.
This convertible car seat meets the US safety standards. It also helps that it comes with two cup holders that come in handy during long trips.
Although the padding material is generally comfortable, it tends to lead to sweating when used in humid places. This leaves your baby hot, sweaty and really uncomfortable.
In spite of its few quirks, this is undoubtedly the best Graco convertible car seat on the market today.
View on Amazon
Incredibly well designed car seat! You can tell that Britax is a great company by looking at how easy it is to install this seat in the car!
This is yet another impressive convertible car seat. It is manufactured by Britax, a company known for producing some of the safest baby car seats in the US. The Britax USA Advocate ClickTight Convertible Car Seat has two modes; rear-facing mode (5-40 pounds) and front-facing mode (20-65 pounds)
The most outstanding feature of this convertible car seat is its ClickTight system which makes it one of the easiest car seats to install. This convertible car seat is also known for its impressive safety features.
It has an energy absorbent outer shell, three layers of SafeCell side impact protection and a snug harness system that come in handy in case of an accident. Another redeeming quality of this Britax convertible car seat is its easy-to-remove seat padding which makes it easy to clean.
It also comes with seven recline settings making it very comfortable.
Unfortunately, this convertible baby car seat doesn’t come with cup holders. Weighing in at 30 pounds, it’s also heavy and bulky. Another low point is its short crotch buckle that makes it unsuitable for parents who usually double diaper.
The Britax Advocate is by far the safest convertible car seat available today.
View on Amazon
I hate how the previous car seat used to move a lot despite my reinstalling it multiple times, but with this it remained almost completely static only after my first installation.
Yet another highly rated convertible car seat, the Evenflo Symphony DLX is known for its impressive weight range of 5 to 110 pounds.
- When used as a rear-facing convertible car seat, it supports babies of 5 to 40 pounds. When facing the front, it can support children of 22 to 65 pounds. On the other hand, it supports 40 to 110 pounds in high back booster mode.
- This all-in-one convertible car seat is easy to install due to its Sure LATCH technology. It ensures high safety standards by employing the use of foam liner and Evenflo’s e3 Side Impact Protection.
- Another selling point of this baby car seat is its removable pads that are machine washable. It also ensures the comfort of your baby by use of multiple recline positions and 5-point adjustable harness.
- The expandable cup holder also adds a nice touch
- Unfortunately, this convertible car seat faces a few challenges. First of all, its harness is not replaceable, so you need to be careful with it. Also, converting it to a booster can be tiresome. Another disadvantage associated with this baby car seat is its high price
The Evenflo Symphony DLX definitely deserves a spot as one of the top rated convertible car seats.
View on Amazon
I have had this for over a year and quite frankly I don’t think I need to get another one anytime soon. My daughter sits comfortably safe in this and I’m happy.
The Chicco NextFit Zip is a beautifully designed baby car seat that supports up to 40 pounds in rear-facing mode and up to 65 pounds in front-facing mode.
- This baby car seat is popularly known for its zip-off seat pad that makes cleaning easy. It is also easy to install due to its RideRight dual level indicators and SuperCinch LATCH tightener. While the indicators show you the right seat angle, the tightener ensures a firm and secure grip with minimal effort on your side.
- These features make this convertible car seats one of the easiest ones to install. Another unique feature of the Chicco NextFit is its 9 recline settings. This makes it easy to fit it into a larger variety of cars.
- It can even fit into sports cars. This baby car seat also ensures the comfort of even the smallest of babies by employing the use of its 6 position headrest, adjustable shoulder straps, and 5-point harness. It also has a newborn positioner.
- Another huge selling point of this convertible car seat is its safety features such as its steel frame and side impact padding.
- The major sticking points of this baby car seat are its heavyweight nature and inability to transition into a stroller.
The Chicco NextFit is generally a good investment. It comes with a ton of features and somehow manages to fit into really small cars. It is currently the best convertible car seat for small cars.
View on Amazon
I love driving on long rides with my little boy and sitting in this, I’m certain that he loves it equally as much!
The Maxi Cosi Pria 70 is an amazingly light convertible car seat. It has two modes; rear-facing mode (9-40 pounds) and front-facing (22-70) mode.
- As its name suggests, the Maxi Cosi Pria 70 is super cozy. It comes with high-quality fabrics and padding that comes with a self-wicking feature that deodorizes and absorbs any skin moisture. This leaves your child super dry and comfortable.
- In fact, this is the most comfortable convertible car seat in this review. Another high point of this baby car seat is its removable seat padding and harness covers that make washing easier. These fabrics are machine washable.
- You will also be glad to know that the Maxi Cosi Pria 70 is quite easy to install. This can be attributed to its deep recline adjustment system and LATCH compatibility. Where safety is concerned, the Maxi Cosi is prepared for anything.
- Its Air Protect side impact protection and FlexTech for multi-directional crash protection ensure your baby is always safe and secure. This baby car seat is also quite affordable.
- As much as this convertible car seat is super comfy, it doesn’t support babies who are less than 9 pounds,yet newborn babies can be as light as 4 pounds. However, you can get the Maxi Cosi Pria 70 with Tiny Fit.
All things considered, the Maxi Cosi Pria 70 gives you good value for your money.
View on Amazon
I used to worry about driving with my boy with my previous baby car seat because they moved so much, but this one is nice and sturdy so now I feel better.
This Italian made convertible car seat combines both rear-facing (5- 45 pounds) and front-facing (22-65 pounds) functions.
- This convertible car seat is easy to clean and is made of breathable fabric that makes it comfortable for your baby. Also, it comes with a host of safety features. First of all, it has side impact protection which protects your baby’s head, neck, and spine.
- Secondly, it comes with energy-absorbing foam that protects your baby’s head and torso in case of an accident. Lastly, this baby car seat comes with a contoured steel back plate that provides increased stability.
- Another redeeming quality associated with the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio is the presence of adjustable latch connectors which make it easy to install.
- The main limitation of this convertible car seat is its high price.
In spite of its high price, this baby car seat has proven to be a safe and reliable choice.
View on Amazon
This is beautiful, comfortable, efficient and most of all sturdy. Would 100% recommend to others.
The first thing you’ll notice about the Clek Fllo is its sleek design. This convertible baby car seat is manufactured in Canada and comes with a ton of useful features.
- The Clek Fllo supports 14-50 pounds in rear-facing mode and 22 to 65 pounds in front-facing mode. This is the only baby car seat in this review that is capable of supporting up to 50 pounds in rear-facing mode.
- This allows you to keep your baby in this position for longer. This is position is much safer than the front-facing one. Additionally, the Clek Fllo comes with safety features such as its Advanced Side Impact Protection and Energy Absorbing Crumple Technology (EACT) that keep your baby safe and secure.
- This convertible car seat is also easy to install due to its compact design. Finally, this baby car seat is popular for its fabric that is protected against stains, water, and smelly bacteria.
- The lower weight limit of this baby car seat is significantly higher than the weight of most newborns. However, you can buy an infant insert separately to hold your baby in place.
The Clek Fllo is really cute and has a pretty good performance record. It’s definitely worth a try.
View on Amazon
I think this was a bit difficult to install properly, but once I did it was completely fine.
This highly rated convertible car seat offers you a rear-facing, front-facing, and belt-positioning booster mode.
- This baby car seat supports 5 to 40 pounds in rear-facing mode, 22 to 65 pounds in front-facing mode and 40 to 100 pounds in belt-positioning booster mode. This makes it possible to use it throughout the different stages of your baby’s life.
- While the car seat’s side impact protection keeps your baby safe, its QuickFit harness keeps your baby comfortable. Additionally, its easily removable seat pad is machine washable and dryer safe. This makes it easy to clean.
- This convertible car seat also comes with the added advantage of being much more affordable than most of its competitors.
- There have been complaints that the straps of this baby car seat are a little hard to adjust.
All in all, the Safety 1st Grow and Go is quite reliable, especially considering its low price. It’s definitely a good bang for your buck.
View on Amazon
I absolutely love this car seat! Was originally going to get a much more expensive one but when seeing the price and all The Good reviews, decided I would give this one a try. And I am so glad I did because this is beautiful me and my daughter love it.
The Disney APT is definitely one of the top rated convertible car seats out there.
- This Disney baby car seat is really cute and adorable. It would make for a perfect baby girl convertible car seat. It’s also way cheaper than most of its competitors. It’s almost half the price of the Safety 1st Grow and Go.
- This cheap convertible car seat comes with both rear-facing and front-facing modes. As a rear-facing convertible car seat, it supports babies of 4 to 40 pounds (40 inches). However, if you need a front-facing toddler convertible car seat, it can support a 22 to 40 pounds child.
- For easy installation, this baby car seat comes with LATCH and 3 buckle impacts. When it comes to safety, it’s equipped with side impact protection. Another selling point of the Disney APT is its 5 point harness that makes it easy to adjust as your baby grows.
- It also comes with 2 integrated cup holders. To top it all off, this cheap convertible car seat comes with a Deluxe Disney soft goods package.
- Although the Disney APT is pretty good, it comes with several limitations. First of all, since its upper weight limit is only 40 pounds, your child will quickly outgrow it. Also, it doesn’t come with a booster mode.
Ultimately, this convertible car seat is a cute, cheap and reliable option for many parents, especially those who have little girls.
View on Amazon
I got this for my 3 year old because she absolutely loves Disney characters and I wanted her to be happy and she was!
Judging from its thousands of positive reviews, the Evenflo Tribute LX certainly deserves to be in this review.
- The first thing you will notice about this baby car seat is that it’s extremely cheaper than the others in this category. In fact, it’s the cheapest baby car seat in this review. It is undeniably the best affordable convertible car seat.
- It offers both rear-facing (5-20 pounds) and front-facing (22-40 pounds) modes. This baby car seat is obviously built with ease of cleaning in mind as evidenced by the removable cup holder and machine washable seat pad.
- It’s also light, compact and meets all Federal Safety Regulations.
- Like the Disney APT, it has a low weight limit and comes with no booster. Additionally, this convertible baby seat doesn’t come with a lot of features.
As much as the Evenflo Tribute LX isn’t as fancy as most of the featured baby car seats, it offers good quality for money.
The Bottom Line
Needless to say, these top rated convertible car seats are certainly worth your money. They are uniquely designed to make your life as a parent way much easier. Whether you are looking for your first baby car seat or are simply seeking an upgrade, they certainly won’t disappoint.
They have proven to be safe, comfortable and easy to use. Ultimately, all you have to do is to choose the one you like best.
Copyright © 2018 Digitally Savvy, Inc. All Right Reserved.